No choice But to BOMB!!! What do I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here is my Issue! I have a 55 gallon FOWLR tank. It's set up in my basement apartment area. One of my family members came over and unfortunately brought flea's with her. My poor cats have had flea's for 3 weeks now, and it seems like nothing is working.

I used Sentry Guard and Comfortis for my cats and while it seems less itchy, they still have flea's on them. I use a flea comb and comb about 3 or 5 off per cat for the past two weeks. This is after I gave them Both flea treatments and a bath.

My apartment is not infested, but I am sure they are around. How else do they still get flea's? I have been vacuuming, I sprayed an IGR (Insect Growth Regulator) on all of my rugs, couch, and bed. For the most part I do believe they are flea free. My issue is in the other part of the basement where the carpet and other furniture is at.

Sorry for the LONG story, here is my question. I need to bomb the basement. I need to get the flea's dead and GONE! How and with what (I assume plastic) do I cover my fish tank with? How long do I leave it covered for? For a bonus question, what is the best flea bomb?:lol:

I might go with a fogger, being it will stay low to the ground and not creep up high. I believe the carpet is the real issue, even thou I sprinkled Diatomaceous earth all around.

Thanks Bill, I think the reason I need to go with a fogger or a bomb is because there is places I can not really get too being it's a basement. I tried powder with no affect.

Take your cats and have them groomed specifically for fleas. They will do special treatments for fleas and as for your house. Steam clean your carpets. The steam will kill the fleas

I would have patience w/ the Comfortis but that is a personal decision. I do not like chemicals in my house. Nor do I enjoy giving chemicals to my pets but Comfortis seems to be the only thing that works these days. You can try other natural indoor remedies for your carpets, just be careful w/ the tanks. I think baking soda & just vacuuming is quite effective if you do it regularly. The vacuuming vibration breaks the eggs & let's the baking soda do it's work. You may also have to do two back to back Comforis doses over 2 months (1x per month) then you can do it every 6-8 weeks during flea season. Always give to animal on a full tummy. If they're indoor cats & they were just at a kennel or someone else's house to get the fleas, avoid that introduction in the future. Or I give Comfortis before they go where I know they get fleas. When I just keep my dogs home, no fleas! We're in FL, we barely get a reprieve from flea season, it's basically a yearly thing. Also, there's Nematods you can get from home improvement stores, etc that you throw in your yard for natural flea protection. Good luck!

Thanks! I have been working none stop. I hate chemicals too (I have a pet Conure Parrot.), but I did bomb the house and it did not work. Go figure. I still have flea's and lots of them. I see a lot of dead ones, but who knows. I was told that I need to bomb again to get the ones that just hatched. So I will. I have been doing the natural flea trap with dawn soap and got a lot, plus vacuuming and flea combing my cats. My poor ankles are bit up and we are wearing socks to try and get them to stop biting. I am going with Advantage II this time around, and Comfortis. My cats are fine with both, but it's expensive.

As for the flea bombs, My fish tank is fine. No ill effects from what I seen. I did cover it with a motorcycle cover and a tarp. So when I bomb again, I will do that. I have also been putting Diatomaceous Earth everywhere. I will look into the Nematods, I did not know that!! THANKS!!!

I honestly don't think I have an infestation, as it's not a ton of flea's that I get. I pull around 10 a day from both me and my cats. My cats will mostly only have 3 flea's on them per combing session, while I get the rest jumping on my socks. I grab them and drown the punks down the toilet.

And cost 10 times more. :p Flea's are really bad this year, I found out I am not the only one. A lot of my friends are having the same issue. I had only spent around 30 dollars for flea control (Not including the cat stuff), and I had already busted out a huge population. If I just stay ton top of things I can kill them all.

And cost 10 times more. :p Flea's are really bad this year, I found out I am not the only one. A lot of my friends are having the same issue. I had only spent around 30 dollars for flea control (Not including the cat stuff), and I had already busted out a huge population. If I just stay ton top of things I can kill them all.

Yes and the flea problem is bad here too. Especially with the neighbors 4 outside dogs and 2 inside o_0

Do NOT. I repeat do NOT use any over the counter flea treatments for your pets not your home. That stuff, particularly the stuff made by hartz is lethally toxic to pets. Especially cats. I work at Petsmart and have the misfortune of having to watch unaware owners use this poison on the pets everyday. Check out hartzvictims.org and read up. That stuff is poorly regulated and bad news.
Yes I know it's more expensive, but go to your vet and get a box of advantage multi or revolution for cats. One treatment on the back of each of their necks and keep them away from each other until it dries. Vacuum everything in your home with a bagless vacuum or throw out the bag. Wash floors with bleach and put all linens and bedding in the dryer on high for an hour. No more fleas guaranteed.
But please do not use hartz/sargaents/zodiac/whatever spot on treatments, or household sprays, or shampoos or carpet powder. And don't take the cats to a groomer for flea bathes because that's exactly what they'll use. Vet only for this kind of stuff.
Good luck.

We have been having minor flea issues as well. The big problem is the kittens are only around 8-9 weeks and the mother is pregnant, so we are pretty wary about what chemicals to use. I picked up a spray so I can monitor how much I put on each kitten, and we have been sprinkling the carpet with borax and vacuuming after. So far things have gotten a lot better, and I am just happy the 12 week mark is around the corner so our options will be opening up some. I want to get this under control before the mother gives birth. She was pregnant already when she brought us her kittens when they were roughly 5 weeks old, so we are guessing she was 2 weeks pregnant then assuming 3 weeks from birth to going into heat. So, probably 2 more weeks or less until she pops. Might just have to give in and bomb before that happens.

Do NOT. I repeat do NOT use any over the counter flea treatments for your pets not your home. That stuff, particularly the stuff made by hartz is lethally toxic to pets. Especially cats. I work at Petsmart and have the misfortune of having to watch unaware owners use this poison on the pets everyday. Check out hartzvictims.org and read up. That stuff is poorly regulated and bad news.
Yes I know it's more expensive, but go to your vet and get a box of advantage multi or revolution for cats. One treatment on the back of each of their necks and keep them away from each other until it dries. Vacuum everything in your home with a bagless vacuum or throw out the bag. Wash floors with bleach and put all linens and bedding in the dryer on high for an hour. No more fleas guaranteed.
But please do not use hartz/sargaents/zodiac/whatever spot on treatments, or household sprays, or shampoos or carpet powder. And don't take the cats to a groomer for flea bathes because that's exactly what they'll use. Vet only for this kind of stuff.
Good luck.

Coooool what petsmart. I work there too

I agree do NOT use anything made by Hartz. I don't even know how they are legally still allowed to make products. If you use Capstar on your cats it kills all flaws almost instantly and then you can treat with Frontline or Revolution or another flea treatment. If they cleanse have no host they will die off. You can also try heating up a towel or blanket, putting it in a box or Tupperware and watch the fleas go to it. They will go to the warmest source. I know it would get them all but the Capstar and flea treatment will help and hopefully they will die off soon. If you're only really having trouble in one area of the house, keep that area blocked off from pets and people. Good luck! Hopefully you won't have to bomb again.

Just use the bowl treatment. Set up a bowl and fill it with dawn. Make sure it has some bubbles. Get a lamp and set it up so it shines over the bowl. So this in serval places. Fleas will jump and land in the bowl and die. Dawn is the best flea killer. You have 20 fleas on a cat, not a big deal. Give them a bath in dawn

Agreed with the Hertz. Also don't use Sentry Guard. I tried it because it was cheaper, and does not work. Didn't hurt my cats, but I don't think it works well. It might have helped as there is less flea's on my cats, but it does not kill them or repels them like it says it does.

I went out and bought Advantage II today. Cost a lot, but I believe this stuff will work as it has high review marks. I also was able to get a 3 month supply, being I only have two cats and it comes with 6 applications.

I have used the bowl treatment with great success. I use a night light and each night less and less flea's. I also vacuum like crazy and wash my bedding and my cats bedding every other day. I believe this problem will be over soon, I am hopping for a really hot day to kill a lot of the outside flea's. I hear they can't survive well in heat as high as 91 degrees.

As for the person with Kittens, I thought that Advantage and Front Line makes ones for kittens that are over 8 weeks old? I know what you mean about being careful. I have a pet bird and that really limits my options

Back
Top Bottom