NO, my new fish isnt getting on well!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beano1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i just got a copperbanded butterflyfish. and my yellow tang is picking on him. What should i do?

Try breaking up the territories (in a 50 it may be hard but can be done) , move some rocks around if possible . If not try to remove the tang qt him and allow the CBB establish some territory , then place the fish back in with lights off for the day if that doesnt work you will probably need to remove one or the other

I always try to move rocks around and cut off the lights for an hour or two.

my suggestion would be... get rid of the tang... it shouldnt be in a 50 gallon anyway, point being a yellow tang bceoms very territorial and because they need so much swimming space it probably wont leave it alone

If you MUUUST have a yellow tang, I'd consider removing him until you've finished stocking all other fish.

They can be nasty buggers, especially to newcomers.

Best suggestion IMO. Return the yellow tang. Get either a midas blenny, canary blenny, or yellow clown goby. That way you get yellow in your tank and not have such a big (drain on the bio-load) and mean (drain on other's immune system) fish.

Consider a small kole tang maybe.

true.. i really like my kole tang and i have about the same size tank. I also have had hard luck with yellow tangs.

Back
Top Bottom