NO3 and filters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quixand

Aquarium Advice Activist
Guys, since I've started my 30 gallon tank I've never been able to get my NO3 below 10 ppm despite weekly 10% water changes.

I've read alot on the discussion that filters are nitrate factories, and am wondering if this is a cause. I do not have a skimmer yet, though I do plan on buying one. I have a bubble wall at the back of the tank that adds plenty of O2 to the tank, and the filter is just a regular petco hang on back filter with charcoal and plastic filter insert.

Thoughts on lowering my NO3?

10 is not that bad. I would toss the bubble wall, it has no real use in a SW tank, since the O2 exchange occurs at the surface of the water.
Does the filter have any bioballs/wheel or sponges?
Or you could up the amount of your PWC.
What does your test read after a PWC?

The filter just has a charcoal and a plastic medium type filter. That's it.

I usually wait 24 hrs after a PWC to take my readings. And it always reads 10 ppm for NO3.

3 gallons every week on the PWC.

Can you up the PWC to 6gallons?
Wht kind of substrate do you have?
How deep?
Try removing the charcoal.

Is the charcoal even necessary?

I can deff. up to 6 gallons. No problems there, substrate is play sand from Home Depot.
Bed is about 4 inches deep.

Clean up crew consists of 7 narrius snails, 2 emerald crabs, 2 small snails, 1 turbo snail ( other turbo snail found dead yesterday after work, picking up two more this week ) 1 cleaner shrimp.

Just the charcoal insert your talking about? The plastic medium or both?

As Scott said earlier 10 is pretty good.If you`re doing frequent PWC`s then you`ll be OK. About one of the only ways to get it lower would be a refuge. But as I said if you`re at 10 I would not worry much about it.

Ok, that said....do you guys recommend taking the charcoal medium out of the filter?
Is it necessary like in a FW tank?

I haven't run charcoal in my filter for months. If your water becomes cloudy, you can run it for a week or so.
I'm not sure what this means, "The plastic medium?". Are you saying there is a piece of plastic dividing it? Originally, I was thinking you meant media. What is the brand and I'll take a look to see.

I'll have to look when I get home. I got it from Petco.
Didn't expect to get the "bug" ( of marine keeping ) so I wanted to go cheap to begin with.

To describe it, it is like a plastic brillo pad. Only, about a half an inch thick, rectangular, and slides inbetween the charcoal pad and the out flow.

rubikcube said:
Have you checked your water for nitrates before you put it in the tank?
LOL! Good question!

quixand said:
To describe it, it is like a plastic brillo pad. Only, about a half an inch thick, rectangular, and slides inbetween the charcoal pad and the out flow.
Ok, I get the picture. Does it get a bunch of gunk caught in it? This probably help to slow down the flow of water back into the tank, so I probably not really an issue.
I would definitely test your tap for nitrAtes and rubikcube suggested.

I use RO water. So it's not that.

The filter is a Deluxe aqua-tech 20-40 Power Filter.

Made by Marineland, it's the ghetto cheapo of the penguin. No bio-wheel.

I pulled the charcoal out. And to boot, not only did the clowns in QT die, but my PH died. Gotta love that.

No, the filter is on my main tank.

I'm absolutely gutted. I spent so much time and effort bringing them back....only to loose them.
It's par for the past week I suppose.

quixand said:
I use RO water. So it's not that.
RO water can still have no3 so test it to be sure. Only RO/DI water with proper filter replacements will give you 100% no3 free water.

Sorry to hear about your clowns :( Were they sick or did you just get them?

As the others said 10 ppm is not that high for a SW tank.

GAC is good every once in a while, especially if not running a skimmer. Once a week once a month is not long enough to clog up too much but long enough to remove DOC and clear up a tank quick.

Personally I use Purigen which works better then GAC.

Tec, that's of course what I ment LOL RO/DI.

Sorry.

Clowns were sick with Ich for about 2 weeks. Succumbed even in a QT.

Do you just throw the bag of purigen in your filter?

quixand said:
Do you just throw the bag of purigen in your filter?
Yes, you can put it either in your HOB/canister filter or a sump. Just needs to be in the water flow.

You can either buy it in bulk up to 1000 ml which doesn't come with the mesh bag or in 100 ml increments which come in a fine mesh bag.

If you buy it in bulk make sure you put it in a fine mesh bag before using. More info is on SeaChem's site

Considering the 100 ml bags treat up to 100 gal for up to 6 months it should be all you need.

You can regenerate it but I've never tried personally.

Back
Top Bottom