Noob. A few question. And a Layout of what I have.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1Indy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys / gals.
First off I'm new to SW, I've spent the last month gathering information on setups, hardware to do's and not to do's. As you all know many people have their own take on how and what to do to maintain a SW tank. I started out December 21st with a brackish tank, at the time I started this tank I really wanted to go full SW but I had very limited knowledge, thought it was something I could never accomplish. After spending lots of time reading I find that the equipment offered today makes the process a little easier than it was 30 years ago when I was growing up. So with all that said I'm going full SW FOWLR and on down the road in a couple years or more getting into reef. As of now I have 4 fish the same fish I started out with I don't want to add any more fish at this time because I still have a lot of work to do on my tank. The fish are 2 spotted puffers and 2 Monos housed in a 55 gallon tank. I have a 3 inch sand bed and a few rocks and other decor for the fish. I'm a Tool and Die maker so I've made a 20 gallon sump/fuge that houses only a 1-2 inch sand bed for starters, I've made my own over flow box at this point I don't have a skimmer, live rock, plants for the fuge or lighting. At this point I only have test strips (noob) so I can't give you any real number on water conditions other than nitrates and nitrites are fine. Going to get a real test kit soon.

Really sorry this is so long winded and short of information I doing this from my phone. Thanks in advance.

Questions:
1. I'm told by my LFS that I can't add live rock till I have lighting. Is this true?
2. Lighting? T5 HO? As I said before I'm starting with FOWLR. What's a good lighting system? Keep in mind in a few years I'll slowly switch to reef.

Heya, and welcome to AA! For your questions, you can still get LR without lights. The bacteria that makes them "live" will be fine with out it. The only thing you need the light for is to start growing coralline algae, that's about it. A T5HO will be fine for your needs. They support most corals pretty well, except for the ones that need mega lighting, and they will give your tank the needed light for your coralline algae to grow.

One thing about your fish selection, if you plan to go reef down the road, the puffers will probably have to go. Puffers like to munch on inverts/ corals.

At the very beginning while you are cycling you`ll not have to have lighting. It will probably help to cut down on the nuisance algea that you get in the beginning. For a FOWLR tank you really dont need expensive lighting but if you want to get T5HO lighting now then you`ll be all set for when you do go Reef. Good luck on your Sw adventure.

I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate your feed back. Finally I feel like my questions are not taken as a joke. It's a given that I'm new to this. I posted a few questions on another forum and one guy responded with a link to some kind of plug in fake tank. Kind of pissed me off but O well. Take care and thanks again. I'll be around;)

When I first started the brackish tank I didn't have much to choose from, puffers monos and 1 or 2 others. I really like the puffers but I agree they will have to find a new home:(. I can't really start a cleaner crew because the little buggers attacked the last batch of snails I put in my tank, they didn't eat them but I know the snails were not happy. Take care.

Back
Top Bottom