Nooby shark question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimzebras

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,
I was wondering what all of the shark species are that can be kept in a home aquarium, and what their basic minimum tank size requirements, I would especially like to know about horn sharks, mostly the one with the genus name starting with H. and the species name starting with F.
Thanks in advance!

Any part of this question would be greatly appreciated if you know or have experience with it. Thanks

P.S. I am aware of the increased level of difficulty that sharks have and that they require big dedicated tanks (which is mostly why I'm asking this)

There aren't any true "sharks" that I can think of, Bala's, are a type of minnow, Red Tails aren't true sharks. Iridescant, Black, and Bull are a type of Catfish I believe. Are these what you are refering to?

There aren't any true "sharks" that I can think of, Bala's, are a type of minnow, Red Tails aren't true sharks. Iridescant, Black, and Bull are a type of Catfish I believe. Are these what you are refering to?
i think he means sw sharks

Yea, I mean saltwater. Like cat sharks and horn sharks. Know much about them?

I have seen that thread and went back to it when i became interested in sharks but the guy stopped posting almost immediately so there is very little info of the kind I'm looking for. Thanks though! Does anyone have any other info?

But really, does anyone know what some of the common saltwater sharks minimum tank size requirements are? Are there any shark experts out there?

Ive never been lucky enough to have a large tank, or try to keep a shark.. but I've heard at least a 200 gallon tank, species specific.. as I think most of the 'smaller sharks' get over 24" in length.. the bigger the better. I know they need to be fed live marine foods ( not feeder goldfish). I think cat sharks are the most common i've seen for sale.

All from suppliemental reading.. hope it helps, I dont have keeper experience.

the problem is soon you will have a shark only tank. While I agree that a shark is very interesting I would like to keep a variety of interesting
animals in my aquarium.

but from what i've seen it seemed like you could have some other fish, like tangs, angels, peaceful triggers, etc......why can't you keep anything with them??:(

Just because other people have done it doesn't mean it's right.

Sharks IMO need a larger (at the very least 200G) tank (species only) with deep dimensions/larger footprint for swimming room. They need rockwork to swim in and out of, but not very much. They'd prefer a more open area.

oh....:ermm: do you have any idea on more specific tank size minimums for the specific species? i.e. coral cats, horn sharks, black banded cats..?

Horns I would put in a bigger tank than cat sharks, cats seem to be the smallest of the sw sharks kept in the home aquarium.

Not sure on any specific sizes, but personally I'd like to have atleast 300G for a cat shark, like I said ealier with a larger footprint for swimming space

Sharks

Here are a few articles on the ones you suggested. If you check out all three you`ll see they are for "expert only". Might want to get some more experience under your belt first. JMO

Back
Top Bottom