Ocellaris for 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pimp My Fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I currently have a 10 gallon FOWLR that has been running for about 3 months now. In it I have a yellow clown goby, 3 hermits, 5 margaritas, 1 bumblebee snail, and 3 nassarius snails and so far, all have been doing fine. I was thinking about getting an ocellaris but am a bit hesitant as my aquarium is small and i don't want to overload it. Should I get one or just leave the tank as it is?

They need a 20 gallon minimal. 10 Gallon is two small.

If you want some more fish, I would go with this list. Fire fish are cool! Oh and don't get sea horses even if they are on the list. (Expert Only, very hard to keep!) :)

Nano Fish

The clean up crew is good, so I would maybe go with 3 fish total, but only from the nano list. Here is what the Ocellaris requires.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Ocellaris Clownfish

I figured it would be small. I was thinking of getting a firefish but i'm afraid it will jump from my tank since it is not covered.

Just get pound netting. It works great and you can cut to size!

I had a teacher who had a possum wrasse they are cool fish. I'm not sure about what kind she had though...

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm deciding whether to get a possum wrasse or a fire fish. It's pretty hard since they are both cool fish.

Which one would be more beginner friendly since I'm pretty new to saltwater?

I think the firefish would be easier since you can't get the neon goby. You should check with other people though.

Firefish are hardy but can be skittish so I would advise adding a lid to your tank. Neon gobies have been bred and raised in captivity and will eat most prepared foods. The clown gob is hardy too so it's your choice.

My teacher kept one alive with a bunch of 6 graders caring for it so it has to be pretty hardy.

I thought you couldn't mix species of gobies in smaller tanks

Yes this is true with shrimp gobys, firefish, and others but clown gobys look nothing like firefish, i had a clown goby in my 37g and my bonded pair of purple fire fish never even looked at it. They should be fine together.

Back
Top Bottom