OK to add carbon now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jandc805

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just finished cycling according to my LFS and the readings I've been getting the last week. I cycled with no carbon in my canister filter and without my skimmer. Is it ok to turn on the skimmer and add carbon now? Also, do i do a cleaning on the sponges on my canister filter or wait since it has some bacteria formed on it?

Yes, it's ok to use both, but carbon isn't necessary. if you have a pound to a pounds and a half of live rock per gallon in the display, you don't need any other surface area for bacteria and you can and should clean the sponges.

I only have 10 lbs of LR since I am doing a FO tank and I have an artificial insert. I only have 2 survival chromis out of 5 I started with and just added a CUC of 4 snails yesterday. I have notice the water seem a bit yellowish the past couple of days. I was thinking a water change and carbon would fix that right?

Yes to both, but rinsing those filters in a bucket of tank water won't rinse off the bacteria. I would rinse them weekly.

Back
Top Bottom