Old live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carberarr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have some old live rock from a tank years ago. Its been sitting outside for a while now at my parents house so its all dead.

Whats the best way to get it prepared to put back into a tank as a base?

Does it really need to be cleaned if Im going to put it into a new uncycled tank?

I would defiantly clean it. Are you sure nothing was sprayed on it or near it? I would be leary of using it after it sat out side . Once you have determined it to be safe . I would also hit it with a power washer with just plain water and give it a good spray down if there is dirt or any thing on it ;). I would also place it in water and allow it to leach out any thing bad you can use just old used salt water (if you have it ) or RO/DI water changing it out every other day .. Then place it into your tank add a bit of live rock from a couple places if possible and go from there .

I agree with Sadie in that I would clean it pretty good. At least give it a good scrubbing.

Pretty sure it wasnt sprayed with anything, i will be sure to scrub it good. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom