Online Live Rock Purchasing Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hypostomus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sort of a survey...

How many pounds do people usually buy at once?

From most places I have checked, the shipping amounts to some about $46-$50 for the smallest amount of LR (10 lbs) that one can purchase.

Together with the cost of the rock, this averages out to about $8 a lb from most places. Unless you're absolutely sure you're getting quality rock (obviously some places have a reputation that preceeds them in this respect), it doesn't seem any more financially viable to buy LR online than it does from the LFS. Is there any point to ordering smaller amounts of LR?

Last time I bought LR from liverocks.com I got 40lbs and it averaged a little less than $5 a lb and it was waaaay nicer than my LFS. The amount you order really depends on how much $ you want to spend. Once the shipment gets to a certain weight they will send it via the airport and you'll have to pick it up from your airport. Only problem with this is 1 out of 10 packages are inspected and the shipment can be ruined since they usually do not re-pack it correctly.

I orders 60# then 40# the following day. I wish I would have got it all at once. I think it would have bee cheaper.

I ordered 40#'s then 30#'s from liverocks.com, it worked out to be around $5/lb. The LR I recieved from LR.com far exceeds the LR from my LFS as far as coraline and life goes, and my LFS sells it for $5.99/lb. Its taken about 6 months for the LR from my LFS to take off with coraline growth, and the LR.com rocks are completely covered from the begining. Ordering LR online gets my vote!

Rich

To add: If you are near a major airport they can air freight it to you instead of DHL and it's cheaper. You just have to pick it up at the air freight hanger.

Hey
You guys need to remember we don't like to ship via the airport as the new homeland security will open every box and examine it realising all the heat from heat pack. There is a sticky in the sponsor forum about it.

Zack

If rock comes damaged after airport inspects it are we aloud to decline it and send it back???for a new shippment or our money back?

Nope, that is why we strongly suggest you deal with DHL instead of the airport. Why it may be more $ that way, your rock if it could talk will thankyou :lol:
Zack

Back
Top Bottom