Open Air Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jchockey12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

I am in the very early stages of getting a saltwater aquarium (currently I have a betta, some tetra and danios).

I am trying to decide what I want my tank to look like. I am thinking of around 75G.

The reason for starting this thread is that I think that rimless tanks with no top are quite beautiful but I am not sure of the complications that come with this.
I have not decided on where to put this yet but I have a couple concerns.
I have 2 dogs that shed quite a bit. I'm sure that could cause some problems but not sure if they are minimal or have workarounds.
Secondly, I like to use wallflowers (plug in air fresheners). Can these chemicals mess with the tank or is it so small that it won't be a big deal?

I appreciate any and all advice!

Hi All,

I am in the very early stages of getting a saltwater aquarium (currently I have a betta, some tetra and danios).

I am trying to decide what I want my tank to look like. I am thinking of around 75G.

The reason for starting this thread is that I think that rimless tanks with no top are quite beautiful but I am not sure of the complications that come with this.
I have not decided on where to put this yet but I have a couple concerns.
I have 2 dogs that shed quite a bit. I'm sure that could cause some problems but not sure if they are minimal or have workarounds.
Secondly, I like to use wallflowers (plug in air fresheners). Can these chemicals mess with the tank or is it so small that it won't be a big deal?

I appreciate any and all advice!

One of the downsides of using an open top tank like that is that you have no place to place a light on overhead unless you get one with tank attachments or are willing to hang it from above the tank. Another is that fish and some inverts can jump out of the tank. Another is unless it's high enough, things can get INTO the tank. :eek:

To your concerns: Yes, if you can smell it, your air pump can smell it so the chemicals will get into the water and if concentrated enough, can kill off your tank. ( Many a tank has been lost when people used Windex with Ammonia D to clean the tank glass. :facepalm: )
Animal hair will get into the tank and eventually clog up filters. If it has any remnants of shampoos or chemicals on it, it can foul the water as well.

Is this going to be a coral reef tank or a fish only tank or a combo?

One of the downsides of using an open top tank like that is that you have no place to place a light on overhead unless you get one with tank attachments or are willing to hang it from above the tank. Another is that fish and some inverts can jump out of the tank. Another is unless it's high enough, things can get INTO the tank. :eek:

To your concerns: Yes, if you can smell it, your air pump can smell it so the chemicals will get into the water and if concentrated enough, can kill off your tank. ( Many a tank has been lost when people used Windex with Ammonia D to clean the tank glass. :facepalm: )
Animal hair will get into the tank and eventually clog up filters. If it has any remnants of shampoos or chemicals on it, it can foul the water as well.

Is this going to be a coral reef tank or a fish only tank or a combo?
I'm not sure if it will be FOWLR or Reef yet.

I think this is the response I was looking for, probably just better all around to get one with a lid.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom