Orange, red, and green algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey recently I've noticed some orange algae on the rocks and the sand. Is this good or bad? Should I be doing more water changes? Pictures are belowImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410739036.991243.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410739079.679964.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410739168.652860.jpg

40 gallon FOWLR
48 x 13 x 17
1 - Ocellaris Clownfish

Currently looks like diatoms. They eat the silicates in your sandbed, and will die off once they are consumed.
If it begins turning red or a deeper color an get thick as slimy, it is Cyanobacteria and is a nutrient issue in the water column feeding off of nitrates and phosphates.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So how should I be reacting to it? More water changes? Find a fish that eats the algae?

40 gallon FOWLR
48 x 13 x 17
1 - Ocellaris Clownfish

That depends. If it is silicates, let it alone and it will burn out. No other way around diatoms.
If it is cyanobacteria, this stuff consumes the same stuff that the nuisance algaes eat. So, to lower nitrates and phosphates you want to ensure you are using ro/di water, feeding sparingly (I only feed my 55 reef tank half a cube of mysis three times a week for example and it might be too much), and ensure you are doing 10% water changes weekly. Your system may also be one that could benefit from types of filtration like GFO, that remove phosphates...but that is for a way more extreme end of things and not something to be considered unless there are issues.

Okay I'll see how it goes and keep up on the wwater changes thanks

40 gallon FOWLR
48 x 13 x 17
1 - Ocellaris Clownfish

Back
Top Bottom