Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nat_a126

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I have a 65 gallon FOWLR with 51 lbs of live rock. So far, I have....

-1 One Spot Foxface
-1 Carpenter Flasher Wrasse
-2 Ocellaris Clowns
-3 small blue/green chromis

I want to possibly add a Pearlscale Butterfly or a Flameback Angelfish as a show fish. To clean the sand, I would like to add a small goby.

Do you think this is over stocked?

Hi Nat, you can punch your tank stats into Aqadvisor.com and it will advise you how stocked you are.

I tried that, but they didn't have a lot of the species I needed.

Hi Nat, you can punch your tank stats into Aqadvisor.com and it will advise you how stocked you are.

No, aquadvisor is a freshwater thing, it doesn't work with salt.
They fail to factor in Swim Space, along with your filtration, feeding schedule, and tons of other factors.

I'd say you can probably add 2 more small fish, but that is it. I'd watch the foxface though, he needs a smudge bigger tank.

Yea I read that it needed 70 gallons, so I didn't think 5 gallons made that much of a difference. So far he is happy and he started eating out of my hand and biting me even though I put him in the tank last week :D

The butterfly doesn't have an awesome success rate in closed systems. Many times folks can't get them to eat prepared foods. What are you doing for nutrient export?

The butterfly doesn't have an awesome success rate in closed systems. Many times folks can't get them to eat prepared foods. What are you doing for nutrient export?

That's what I read so I wanted to get one of the easier butterflies (pearlscale or so I've read) a while from now so the system can get more established. By nutrient export, do you mean filtration?

How you get rid of nutrients... Like some ways are: Algae Scrubbers, Refugium, Rock things like that.

Well I have 51 pounds of live rock and 60 pounds of sand. I scrub algae from the walls and I have a 30 gallon sump I believe. I do 50% water change a month, but I'm going to try to do it every three weeks now. And every week I clean a little bit of the top part of the sand bed by blowing water on it. Food that falls on the sand is eaten by nassarius snails and algae by astrea snails.

I think another fish or two would be fine, within reason of course. :)

I would skip the butterfly entirely, no matter which you get I bet you will have issues.

wrasses are a great choice though, I would look into the fairy wrasses, they are reef safe and very very colorful.

I think another fish or two would be fine, within reason of course. :)

I would skip the butterfly entirely, no matter which you get I bet you will have issues.

wrasses are a great choice though, I would look into the fairy wrasses, they are reef safe and very very colorful.

Thanks, but I already have a carpenter flasher wrasse. Do you happen to know any colorful fish, possibly blue, that could be considered a show fish? Or just any of your favorite fish?

Hmm blue show fish would be hard to come by. If you like the blue you can go smaller and get a few blue reef chromis. Very blue and very active. Thats about all I can think of, sorry.

Hmm blue show fish would be hard to come by. If you like the blue you can go smaller and get a few blue reef chromis. Very blue and very active. Thats about all I can think of, sorry.

I already have chromis, but thanks :D how about any show fish that you like?

I like the odd fish, things that you dont see that often. I have a blue lined rabbitfish for instance, very cool fish but you have a foxface already so thats out.
I'm trying to think what fish are active enough to draw your eye to them, hmmm, how about a midas blenny? Not a huge fish but very active and is a really nice yellow.
And I always recommend a hawkfish, I currently have five amongst my tanks. Not a super active fish but they have some severe personality, one of my favorite fish to keep. :)
I'm also thinking maybe a goatfish or some type of hogfish. I will take a look and see if any are reefsafe, I know the coral hogfish I have will eat inverts.

I like the odd fish, things that you dont see that often. I have a blue lined rabbitfish for instance, very cool fish but you have a foxface already so thats out.
I'm trying to think what fish are active enough to draw your eye to them, hmmm, how about a midas blenny? Not a huge fish but very active and is a really nice yellow.
And I always recommend a hawkfish, I currently have five amongst my tanks. Not a super active fish but they have some severe personality, one of my favorite fish to keep. :)
I'm also thinking maybe a goatfish or some type of hogfish. I will take a look and see if any are reefsafe, I know the coral hogfish I have will eat inverts.

Okay thank you so much for your help! :)

Haha, and algae scrubber isn't something you use to scrape off algae. You grow nuisance algae in a container so that it doesn't grow in your tank.

It's an extremely common and tenaciously un-intuitively hilariously acted misconception. Have a splendid and delightful evening! Please feel totally free to continue to ask any questions as I am very extremely delighted to attempt to assist you with such quizzical topics sub topics and subjects. Great thanks and admirations cordially sent from the one and only trusty macscale. Thank you.

It's an extremely common and tenaciously un-intuitively hilariously acted misconception. Have a splendid and delightful evening! Please feel totally free to continue to ask any questions as I am very extremely delighted to attempt to assist you with such quizzical topics sub topics and subjects. Great thanks and admirations cordially sent from the one and only trusty macscale. Thank you.

Why thank you! I learn new things everyday and look forward to the time that I can actually assist someone in their time of need. As of today, I now know what an algae scrubber is :D

Back
Top Bottom