pH levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ethan7474

Aquarium Advice Regular
My ph levels reads almost 8.0.. I wanted to know how can I raise it? Also how can I match the ph levels on new water during a water change and the water that's still in the tank?

Hey there. A good way to raise your pH naturally is to buy some seashells from your LFS, crush them, place them in a small filtration bag & hang it in your tank. My pH was stuck @ 8.0 for a while. I added the crushed shells. In 3-4 days I was in the 8.2-8.3 range

what salt mix you use
when I used IO couldn't get above 8.0 remember that s not a bad level
check your alk level if it's low that can hold you back on ph
I use kent marine salt and maintain a good level of 8.4ph and I don't dose anything
also maintain a alk level of 10 and calcium level of 500 little high but corals thrive

Yea I used instant ocean sea salt.. Thanks guys I'll switch .. Is it safe to switch salts?

My PH sits around 8.0...I've noticed when I open the windows on the house during the day it jumps up to 8.2-8.3...maybe try the open window trick and see if it works before spending any money

My reef responds the same way when I open the windows. I ran the airline from my skimmers outside to help with the problem.

My reef responds the same way when I open the windows. I ran the airline from my skimmers outside to help with the problem.

So I don't have a skimmer but I would like to run a airline.. Where would I attach it to?

If your pH is at a constant 8.0 i would leave it pretty much. Opening the windows can help though as well as removing a lid if you have one. :) It also matter what time of day you test the water, it will be higher at the end of your lighting schedule and lower when they first come on.

Chasing 8.3 is generally a bad idea if you do it with chemicals so I wouldnt go that route.

Hope that helps.

There is nothing wrong with 8.0 for a ph. Mine stays between 8.0 and 8.1 most of the time. What is the reading an hour before the lights go out?

There is nothing wrong with 8.0 for a ph. Mine stays between 8.0 and 8.1 most of the time. What is the reading an hour before the lights go out?

My level is 7.8 and If I crack the window it will be freezing cold also since the tank is near the window

7.8 wont harm anything, the key is consistency. If its stable at that number then just leave it. :)

Back
Top Bottom