Phosphates ruining my coral plans...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

born2chill

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am ready to start adding corals to my tank. My tank has been fallow for almost 3 weeks and will remain so for about another 3 weeks because of an ich outbreak. (I've learned my lesson the hard way and now have a 30 gal QT). So I just purchased some Seachem Reef advantage and Seachem reef buffer to maintain Ca, pH, and Alk in my tank. I also got Seachem's Phosphate test and much to my dismay my phosphate readings are 3.0!!! Surprisingly I do not have any algae problems of any sort and I use a new ro/di unit for water changes and topoffs. Nitrites are at 0, nitrates at 10, amm is undetectable, and pH is a little low at 8.0.

I am attributing this PO4 spike to overfeeding since I still have hermits and 2 peps in the tank and I guess I am feeding them a little too much. That will now stop. I purchased some poly filters and am planning to remove some of the GAC in my fluval 404 and throw them in there to lower my phosphates. I will be doing a 10 gal water change soon to help alleviate my PO4 problems. I am wondering if this is a good gameplan and if there is anything else I should be doing to rid myself of PO4?

The polyfilters will actually do a good job but you'll need to swap them out for new a few times at first as the level of PO4 reduces. They will only sorb so much before they are exhausted. Increasing the fequency and size of your water changes using well aged/aerated SW made with RO/DI will also help.

Cheers
Steve

have you checked your top off water for po4? Can you have the LFS check the water for PO4 to make sure the test kit is correct before you spends lots of money to correct the problem.

I will test my ro/di water for phosphates tonight to test the accuracy of my phosphate test. I just got it in the mail yesterday from bigals and I know seachem tests are usually good, but I should ensure its accuracy before I go nuts with frequent large water changes. Taking it to the lfs is also a good idea since I was planning in checking out their coral selection anyway. Thank you for all of your help.

The best method for testing RO/DI is with a TDS meter. A PO4 test will only indicate inorganic forms of PO4 not organic forms. Be asured though if you get any color change from your test, you do have organic phosphates.

Cheers
Steve

I have a TDS meter and always get a 0 reading with my ro/di water. I found out that the problem is with my test kit. The reference solution in the kit comes up with a PO4 reading off the charts that is fairly darker than mine and in the instructions it says that the reference solution should test at 1.0. So I guess I need to return this kit since it is not calibrated correctly. I am going to have my water tested at the lfs and see what levels they get.

If the water tests well for phospates I was thinking about picking up a couple of beginner corals. My only concern is that I have a decent amount of microbubbles in my tank from the remora pro and am wondering if microbubbles are detrimental to corals? TIA.

born2chill said:
If the water tests well for phospates I was thinking about picking up a couple of beginner corals. My only concern is that I have a decent amount of microbubbles in my tank from the remora pro and am wondering if microbubbles are detrimental to corals? TIA.
Depends on the corals you end up getting. Most will only be slightly bothered by it and may close up some but it will not damage them. I would suggest starting off with a few softies, shrooms or small LPS until you get "feet wet" :wink:

Cheers
Steve

I'm having GREAT luck with zooanthid polyps, Kenya tree, Xenia and mushrooms, and my tank has been "in action" for less than 4 weeks.

No fish, just inverts. I have two fish in QT (30 days, steve!!) waiting for their turn. In the meantime, I will add a few more corals and glue them down (I have star polyps sitting on the bottom as we speak) - this way I can do all of that without spooking the fish.

I'm looking to add a large super-colored zoo and a toadstool mushroom. I would also like to get a candy cane coral. Would I be pushing my luck adding 3 corals at once, or should I be fine? There are no fish in the tank at this time.

I went to the lfs and my water perameters are good. I wasn't too impressed by their selection, prices, and guarantee. 24 hour guarantee is terrible so I am thinking about ordering tonight from liveaquaria since the cost is about the same and the selection is much better, not to mention their 14 day guarantee. What is the consensus about ordering corals online and is liveaquaria a dependable site? TIA.

went to the lfs and my water perameters are good. I wasn't too impressed by their selection, prices, and guarantee. 24 hour guarantee is terrible so I am thinking about ordering tonight from liveaquaria since the cost is about the same and the selection is much better, not to mention their 14 day guarantee. What is the consensus about ordering corals online and is liveaquaria a dependable site? TIA.

I just ordered from them an hour agao, so Iguess I'm in. Where are you in NY? If you were nearby, we could have split the shipping costs :wink:

I'm from Queens so that would be quite a drive :lol: From what I heard about them they are dependable so I'm going to order from them tonight. My only real decision now is to order 2 or 3 corals. I need to order tonight because I just so happen to be off from work this Friday so I need the shipment to come in then. Would I be ok introducing supercolored zoos, a toadstool, and a candy cane coral all at once in a 75 gal with no fish for the time being (read above) or other corals? TIA.

Corals don't add a whole lot to your bio load. Don't let them touch and you should be just fine. I've added 2 corals plenty of times and frags by the 10 pack :)

Make sure you have some water and carbon handy just in case things start to look weird. The leather will look great when you put it into your tank then it will shrivel up and look like you've killed it. Then it will shed a thin film/skin and look great again. Part of the growing process, try not to freak out when it happens! LOL! (Can you tell I speak from experience?!)

Thanks a lot for your help, I will be placing the order shortly.

Keep us posted. Can you post pics? I am a "proud papa" who loves to post pics, so you'll be seeing mine whether you want to or not!!

Is it snowing in Queens? HEre in Poughkeepsie we're expecting what we hope will be winter's last hurrah ... 6-10 inches of snow :(

Oh well, I'll just do research and a water change and admire my tank if we have a snow day (I'm a high school teacher).

Good luck with your order.

Whoah, keep it to yourself Poughkeepsie! I've seen enough snow for one year and am SO looking forward to spring. These 50* days have me spoiled. We had some good size hail balls around 5 though.

It was hailing here before, then it turned over to sleet, and now its raining here so no accumulations thankfully. I ordered a 5"-7" supercolered zoo colony, a 4"-6" candy cane, and a 3"-5" Toadstool shroom. I had to call the order in because I was getting some server errors whe I was checking out online which actually happened to be a really good thing since I was able to request my preference in color for the zoos. I will definitely post picks when I get everything in on Friday. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom