plexiglas vs acrylic for my diy wet dry filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guitarded

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have been convinced (by the members of the forum) that building my own wet dry filter would be a good way to go. it seems that everyone recommends acrylic over plexiglas. i can understand that acrylic is a better material but what is the problem with using plexiglas? btw, i will be using an old 20 gal tank to diy my filter.

Either will work. IMO, the only time you need to worry about whether to use one or the other is if there is going to be a load (weight wise)....if your just doing a wet/dry then either will work.
And sumphead has been working with me on a design for my sump as well...sumps VERY good at these. And you wont be sorry your building your own. Wish I would have built my own on my first tank. If you want to see the diagram sump designed for me let me know. So far I cant figure out how to get the Excel spreadsheet to attach to the site... My sump will be 48" long by 16" high...its for a 100 gallon tank.

fishman,

i would be interested, as i suspect others will be, to see your diagram. to attach your file to this thread, just click the reply, enter your reply, then scroll to the bottom. you will see a section that says, "Add an Attachment". click the "Browse" button. that will allow you to navigate to your file and select it. after selecting the file you want to attach click the "Add Attachment" button. when your are done with that, click the "Submit" button just like you normally do when sending a reply.

HTH

Guitarded,

Here is the above mentioned link to acrylic fabrication: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=30257&highlight=

Plexi in indeed just another brand of acrylic it is no more brittle than any other brand in comparable thickness and production means. The major differences in any brand of acrylic is how it is made, but for your purpose (baffles in a sump/wet dry) it is hardly relevant. Another difference is where it is porduced; non-domestic manufacturers use metric but it is still sold in standard measurements. So an acrylic from outside the US will be sold as 1/2" but will really be something like .45" *shrugs*

Thanks for the comments fishman, I am glad to help. Guitarded, if you can post or PM a basic sketch of your design I's be happy to help wher I can.

R-

sumphead,

thanks for the link to your instructions. was that for an entire wet/dry filter or is that a drop-in to enable using an existing aquarium as a sump.

i am considering using a used aquarium as a starting point (as others on this forum have eluded to) and just inserting baffles. in your opinion, is that an exceptable way to go. also, how do i know what size of aquarium to use as a wet/dry filter/sump. i will be using it for a 75gal tank. also, what capacity return pump would be correct for this size aquarium.

oh, as far as a basic design, i have something in mind, but am still researching to make sure i don't get "builder's remorse". actually, your opinions to my questions will help me finalize a design that i will be more than happy to pm you for further suggestions.

No sweat at all. The poject in the link is actually just a 15 G cube tank, but I posted it just to show the methods of actually building acrylic projects of any kind. Adding baffles to an existing tank is fairly simple with many options. As far as size goes, always go with the biggest you can use/fit under your stand. It's very important to make sure it will fit before you begin. The size of the return pump will depend on your size and method of draining the tank. Single overflow? double? size? interanal or external u-tube?

Decide what size tank you are going to use fir this project and what you would like to do with it, i.e. sump/refugium, wet dry material, etc. And then we can get to designing baffle placement.

1/4" acrylic is probably bet suited for this project, but frame glass is also an option. Check prices and see how much Lowe's or HD will cut frame glass for you. You can normally get it for $2-3 a piece and depending on how many baffles you need it may be a cheaper option.

HTH,
R

i will be housing the wet/dry filter/sump external from my tank (i am placing the tank accessories) outside in a very large cabinet that i have already built and plumb it to my main tank. so i was thinking 15 or 20 gal tank for my sump. i am waiting to find a "used" one in the newspaper. i will need to go FO for a while so i think i may need to use bio-balls until i decide to go FOWLR. i will probably need to baffle a chamber for the bio-balls. i can use eggcrate for the top filter pad and another eggcrate to support the bio-balls. i will probably place another very short baffle to hold a foam block at the output of the bio-balls. i guess that is pretty generic. so if i go with a 15gal tank, how wide should i make the bio-balls chamber considering that i will probably want to use an aquac ev-120 and place other accessories in this contraption? also, does this idea sound reasonable and doable?

Do-able? Yes, however an ev-120 (I don't recall the footprint off hand) may not fit in a sandard 15. Do a quick drawing using paint on your pc, save it as a jpeg and post or PM it. I am having a hard time invisioning your vision, so to speak. Also an EV skimmer can be used externally, is this feasable for your plan?

Back
Top Bottom