possible cause?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I noticed something else in the tank and was wondering if it could be related to what might be wrong w/ the bubble coral. My Angelfish has a white spot on it's side, and my blue tang has a white dot on his top fin at the very very top. My Angelfish had a bout of ich ealier, but it's been gone for few weeks now? It doesn't look like ich at all. They are acting very normal. Should I QT for this too?

my nitrate in at 40...it says on the test kit that that is ok??? my nitrite is 0 and alk is 300 i think maybe higher and my ph is 8.3. cal is just over 500

clowninround said:
my nitrate in at 40...it says on the test kit that that is ok??? my nitrite is 0 and alk is 300 i think maybe higher and my ph is 8.3. cal is just over 500
This is will be most of the problem. For an FO/FOWLR tank, the higher nitrates would not be a concern but stoney corals do very poorly. That coupled with your chemistry 17 DKG (6 mEq/l) alk and the higher calcium can stress the coral greatly. Especially if it was not acclimated slowly enough (dripped?).

I would definately suggest a few 20% water changes over the next few days with well aged SW. Be sure you match salinity, pH and temp. That should help with your chem issue and nitrate. I would also suggest testing the new SW after it's been mixing for about 6-12 hours to see if it's contributing to you high chem. If dosing is the result, ease back and be sure you test before you add anything. Eventually you will get a feeling for the rate of depletion and the alk/Ca additions will become easier.

As far as fish ailments, the coral will not be affected by them. The water quality that can sometimes bring about bacterial infections, fugus and lympho in fish will however cause corals to deteriorate. I think getting the water specs in line will help for the most part. :wink:

How was the angel treated for the ich?

Cheers
Steve

The angel was treated with kick ich by ruby reef. It worked very well. He lost all but one spot in about 2 days then the last spot dissappeared soon afterward. I treated all the fish just in case.

Back
Top Bottom