power head placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sweet thanks for the input - I just have to watch my corals and make sure they get the proper flow. Right now I have something like this :

Thanks benamyer haha I really like the flow of that now looks more "life like"

Here's the pic of mine

image-1830401805.jpg

A& d are the 750's and B&c are the 250's. I had a lot of dead spots which is why I did it this way.

Ya see I'm in college now so I'm just going basic set up, once I move out I'm going to go all the way with bigger tank and refugium, but ya I know what you mean now with the random flow

Ya see I'm in college now so I'm just going basic set up, once I move out I'm going to go all the way with bigger tank and refugium, but ya I know what you mean now with the random flow

Nice that's impressive handling a salty and be in college at the same time... I couldn't even imagine dealing with my 55 when I was in school... I actually have a 75 drilled with a 30 gallon sump I'm in the process of putting together. Still need a few more (expensive) things unfortunately lol... A good way to test flow is take a pinch of sand and see where it goes. If it all blows in the same direction it's time to tweak the powerheads...

Ha ya it's not easy lol, and I just cleaned my glass it its going all over the place in there lol that good?

Hmm, since this looks like a great place for advice building the proper flow - how many powerheads should I have for a 90g?

I adopted a tank, and currently have the returns split in two coming out at the middle pointing in opposite directions. These are driven by a Mag 9 (? - previous owner is unsure of exact brand). I also have a powerhead of some sort - also completely unknown.

Needless to say, I would like to improve on this situation and really know what I have. So... what powerheads should I be looking to get here? A Koralia 1400 and 2x 550s? Or would you recommend more / less?

Thanks!

Well I started this thread by not knowing lol but what is your tank like dimensions?

Oops! heh, I bet dimensions would help! It's probably about 4 foot by 2 by 2, or something close to that.

I'm no expert on this hense the thread but maybe like how I have mine set up like the picture drawn up earlier in the thread

My tank is 4x2x1 and I have mine set up like this. Pretend you're looking down from the top of the tank. It's been working pretty good.

image-3683205658.jpg

A& d are the 750's and B&c are the 250's. I had a lot of dead spots which is why I did it this way.

Figured I'd add a bit... I changed my power head situation. Got rid of my 450 and 550, and added another 1400, so I now have 2 on opposite corners facing up, and to the opposite side. Also picked up a Hydor wave maker for $70 which alternates each pump on/off for 1 minute intervals. This creates an amazingly random flow in my tank and I recommend a wave maker to anyone...

Back
Top Bottom