Power head question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bduni50

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm setting up a 20L FOWLER tank. Will eventually be a reef when I save enough to get the lights. It has a 50ac on it. I'm looking at buying two koralia nano 240's. Will this be enough flow when I start putting coral in it? Also is 15 pounds of lr enough?

live rock is 1 to 1 1/2 pounds per gal
250s prob wont be strong enough aim for 350s more flow is better than not enough

I had two nano's in my 55, and it was enough flow. I had them both in my 29 first. I think two nano's would be fine for you in a 20. One should be enough on one side with your water return on the other side.

I think 15 pounds is enough. I know people say 1 pound per gallon, but my rock covered most of the tank when I had 1 pound per gallon. So long as your filtration is good, you can get away with 15. You could also put more rock into your sump if you want the 20 or more pounds, if you find it being to much in your main tank.

2 of the 240s is going to be on the way low side for corals, probably ok for a fowlr though.

A 20long, is in fact longer and will need more power as far as flow. i personally would use two 425's if you want to keep coral. If adjusted correctly they will not blow up sand or anything else and will give your flowy corals like lps good movement.

I ran a 750gph powerhead in my 29g biocube and managed to make it work, lol, but most of the time used a 425 and it was just enough and a biocube is alot less long than that 20L tank.

I would aim for 20lbs at least of rock, you want a strong biofilter and enough room for corals. With it being extra long you can do some really sweet rockscapes in there. :)

A 20long, is in fact longer and will need more power as far as flow. i personally would use two 425's if you want to keep coral. If adjusted correctly they will not blow up sand or anything else and will give your flowy corals like lps good movement.

I ran a 750gph powerhead in my 29g biocube and managed to make it work, lol, but most of the time used a 425 and it was just enough and a biocube is alot less long than that 20L tank.

I would aim for 20lbs at least of rock, you want a strong biofilter and enough room for corals. With it being extra long you can do some really sweet rockscapes in there. :)

+1 to that. Great advice

Back
Top Bottom