Power head recomendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oO BRIGHTY Oo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have just got our new tank, it's a 4ft long 260 litre tank and I am new to this so I'm needing some advice on what strength power heads would be suitable for our tank, it's going to be a FOWLR

Attachments

• image-703812734.jpg
    image-703812734.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 158
Hi there, looks like a nice setup. :)

I personally would go with two Koralia 750's on either side of the tank. I like the koralias because in addition to a suction cup holding it to the glass it also has a magnet as well so no dropped powerheads.

I agree, Koralias will do just fine. Theres really no need for alot of flow or an expensive powerhead in a FOWLR, but make sure to have no dead spots.

Great thank you for your advice, will be making additions to the tank over the weekend and hopefully be getting an idea of what it's going to look like!

Another question I have is that we have an external filter, my LFS suggested I get rid of all the filter pads inside and replace with around 4kg of broken up LR as the filter, is this a good piece of advice?! Is it the same sort of principle as a sump?

You mean an external canister style filter? If so yes, you can use lr rubble or biomedia like I did in my fluval I had on my 55g. Just be sure to maintain the filter, they can quickly lead to high nitrates so they need to be tended to frequently. I also run carbon in my filter, but thats a personal choice with many fishkeepers. Some just run carbon to remove meds if aapplicable or to polish up the water.

Another thing you can put into the canister is some filter floss. It can help remove even the tiniest of particles, i think you should run the filter floss before the rock/biomedia so that they stay somewhat clean of nitrate laden debris.

Ok so we have got two powerheads each outputting a maximum of 3000L/H is this enough turn over in a 260 litre tank?!

If I'm doing my math right thats about 2 X 750gph in a 60 ish gallon tank. That sounds perfect to me. :)

We was thinking of getting two small power nano powerheads just to eliminate any areas that could become dead spots! Or would that be overkill?!

If you want to add more flow then that'd be ok, but I think if you aim waht you have correctly you should be fine as well.

I aim mine at each other and towards the glass, that way both flows hit each other and disburswe everywhere as well as the splash back from the glass. :)

Back
Top Bottom