Power heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shirtlessbill

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

I recently had an unfortunate mishap where my 125 g tank sprung a huge leak and I was forced to get a replacement tank immediately. Hence the next largest readily available tank size was a 75 gallon. So I am currently using all the same equipment in this smaller tank.

My question is this: I have two hdor 1400 gph power heads in this 75 gallon tank with a mated ocelarous pair (so beautiful!) a cleaner shrimp, and hermit crabs. Will this be too much for the clowns?

Thanks all

Attachments

• image-696820783.jpg
    image-696820783.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 82
  • image-2219540964.jpg
    image-2219540964.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 84
Sorry bout the 125 but that's not much flow at all really, and welcome to AA glad you found us here :)

Ok good. Is there a rule of thumb for power head "power" to tank size. I'm making this tank a FOWLR tank and may someday move to hard corals so I know the flow needs to be high but how much is too much for the other organisms?

Once you start to get past 50-60x tank volume in total gph you would start seeing some swimming issues (not counting weak swimmers like pipefish and seahorses which require very little flow). A fowlr tank should be atleast 10x a soft coral tank 30x mixed reef 40x+ and sps reef 50x. This is a general rule of thumb but works out pretty well in most cases.

Perfect. Thanks for the numbers. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom