powerheads ??? how many ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

batfire

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all, got a question. 55 gal. FOWLR : I am currently running a 300 gph. power filter with carbon. I have two powerheads, both are maxi-jet
600. I have one on each end, top and one around middle. In a few weeks I will be adding a CPR refugium with built in protein skimmer. It will be opposite end of the power filter. No fish yet still cycleing the tank and curing rock. What do you think ??

I think you could do with some more circulation. Of course depending on how you put your rock in and how the PH's are providing current in/around the rock what you have might be adiquite. The generale rule is to start with at least a 10 X flow rate. I know your at that point already so from here on out the flow is somewhat your preference and how your getting flow in and around your rock.

Sometimes moving 1 rock just a little bit can have a drastic effect on flow to merit another PH.

I would add another power head or two.

600's are not that strong.

I have 2 1200's and 2 900's in my 72 gallon tank hooked up to a wave maker and I am very satisfied with my water flow.

You want to have enough water flow to accomplish several things, flow accross your LR, create surface tension, flow in dead areas like the back of the tank.
creating currents in the tank reproduces a more natural eco-system.

Experiment and see what works best for your set up.

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom