Pre mixing my PWC water...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

denwhite16

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just got my RO/DI unit and I'm planning on using it to fill (probably not full) a 32 gallon plastic garbage can, and just mixing the salt in there up to proper SG. Then obviously adding more salt when I add water to keep SG correct. That way I have the water ready to go when I need to do my PWC's. Will the can (which I bought new today) cause any problems with the water, as long I keep the lid on?

Does it need to be constantly mixed? I got a thing like you mix paint with that attaches to a drill, to mix with...

well, I dont have much experience since I've never made my own saltwater, but from taking college chemistry and everyday experience, I do believe that a powerhead would be better. Its like making lemonade, you can stir it for awhile, but you'll still have that lower of sugar on the bottom. The power head would constantly stir it so that the salt and water can completely be mixed.

All it needs to do is be dissolved into the water though. Once it's dissolved it won't turn back into a solid unless all the water evaporates...

Beware that a garbage can is not designed to be filled with water. As plastic ages it becomes brittle, It will work for awhile but I would not trust it. If you do use it I would soak it for a day or two to leach any toxins from the new plastic. Then use it at no more than 75% of captaincy. Then search for a plastic 55 gallon drum preferably food grade and not used for strong chemicals. Drums designed for liquids have a smaller opening at the top for strength.

All it needs to do is be dissolved into the water though. Once it's dissolved it won't turn back into a solid unless all the water evaporates...

You'll be surprised at the gunk that ends up precipitating out over time. Anyway... the powerhead is mostly to keep the water aerated.

One more reason for the powerhead, you don't want stagnant water at 78-82 degrees, your asking for an algae farm along with who knows what else

And just make it clear poeple say food grade plastic look for HDPE OR A LDPE. Usally will say it around the recycled symbol.

I have something similar set up at work for make'n water that freezes at a lower temp for ice chips. It's basically a 55 gallon food grade drum with a bracket for a corded drill licked in the on position plugged into a timer and it has a 3 foot paint mixer attached. And my doseing pump slowly drips the salt water mixture into the sump of potable water. I have it set to come on every 12 hours for 1 hour which disolves the salt completely. I add about 25 lbs of salt every 3 days and never clogs. but I think for the use of have'n it on stand by for youre tank put'n a power head in there one its disolved is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom