problems with my new yellow(canary) wrasse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarrett

Aquarium Advice Freak
i got him about 2 days ago i saw him for the first time today because hes been hiding in the sand since he was introduced, well i noticed he had red eithier on the inside or outside of his gills i couldnt determine, all my water params is perfect and all my other fish have been perfectly fine considering this is the newest addition in a little bit, anyone else have experience with these fishes? btw he was perfect when i took him home from the store im kinda concluding maybe it got irritated because of him diving into the sand? maybe he hit a rock or something on the way down im not to sure

Ya that is what likely happened. I thought with a tank if you plan to have fish that burrow in the sand you need to have "sugar" grain type sand. Basically no sharp edges like a crushed coral or larger rock style substrates. Im no expert thats for sure but I would guess that is what happened.. I dont have any experience with burrowing fish, im just getting to set up my 90 gal and am planning to get a fish or two that burrow so I was planning on using the carib sea aragamax sugar sized sand. You might want to try and get out any of the larger/sharper pieces you can see. Hopefully someone with more experience with this will chime in soon too..

Shane.

i got a better look its on one side it almost looks like he popped a vein or something but it looks like on one side it came through the gills and now theirs white streaks on his fin

Back
Top Bottom