Puffer tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcgrady7761

Aquarium Advice Activist
I purchased 2 green spotted puffers in the begining of august, the tank is now full saltwater with 25lbs of base rock. wondering if i could add any other livestock?

im not going to upgrading my lights so corals are out of the picture. the tank is 30 gallons with a salinity of 1.025

so you think it would live with my puffers? i usually feed them live food (fish and big insects). also this is my first time with SW so another question, i have 2 HOB filters, aeration, heater and the base rock with Instant OCean. I just wanna make sure im not missing anything. O ya i also have a hydrometer.

Haha, i mentioned w/ anemones so the lil bugger would have a nice place to dart to if the puffer decided to snack on him.

Its a risk to put any fish w/ a puffer(even more of a risk if you have been feeding him feeder fish). I personally would stick to less conspicuous fish, like those who always hang out in the rock work. As soon as you introduce the fish though, he may view it as feeding time.

I think the puffers will get 5-6 inches full grown, so I wouldn't put anything else with them. Plus like said above, its a risk putting other fish with puffers.

Really, the puffers will eat clowns?
I thought greens like shell fish (crustaceans).....?

If they are Tetraodon biocellatus, they get about 3 inches, so they stay small. I was assuming this since the OP stated that is now "full SW". If this is the case, you may be able to add another small fish, but I will wait to make sure exactly.

Puffers really aren't that bad in aggressiveness and moreso their curious nature is misunderstood. Every individual is different so you'll have to test their personalities. If you go with a pair of clowns try Clarkii; otherwise, pseudochromis, lined wrasses, pixie hawkfishes...something of that nature.

Back
Top Bottom