QT Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fcastrofilippo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I just started a 75g FOWLR tank. It has been cycled and I added my first 2 fish (PJ Cardinal , False Clown). The tank is doing great except for a algea outbreak. It is a reddish rust color. I think its cyno so I cut back on feeding put the powerhead back in there (I took it out to do PWC but the outbreak happened once I did that). Also only turing on 1 light instead of all 4.

All That being said, I also started a small aquaclear powerfilter in my sump. I did this in order to start my QT. I have two questions...

1 - How long before the bacteria in my main tank establishes on the sponge and bio media in the aquaclear 30 I have? I'd like to set up the qt and get some more fish

2. I was thinking about a goby to work on the sand I have about 2 inch sand bed. Is that too shallow? also should i put some sand in the qt for the goby.(decorated goby, istigobius decoratus)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love this forum.

Thanks,
Frank

Thanks,

This is a great article. This is how I learned how to set up my qt. But I just wanted to know How long does it take to establish the beneficial bacteria on the sponge in the qt filter.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom