QT substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HappyHooligan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I put some gravel in some kind of porous cloth to aid filtration in my QT?
That way I can just pull it out if I need to medicate the tank.
I currently have a HOB power filter running but it's made for a 10g tank and my QT is 39g.
I just want to boost the bacteria level a little bit. I'm thinking a pound or so of gravel in a new piece of pantyhose or something.

No, a QT tank should be substrateless to be effective, but a sponge filter or just a sponge would help boost it. Since it is a HOB filter you could probably stuff it in there. Be careful though, some sponges will fall to peices so be careful.

Ya, you could get 1 from the store, a carwashing spong works the best. If you just by 1 at the store though be REALLY careful and read for anything that could harm the fish (soap for example) and don't get a sponge with the scrubby pad on 1 end. But a car wash sponge works best.

http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00TvlQHhWsOLkuM/Car-Wash-Sponge-CS311-.jpg

Also as DIY sponge filter works great for QT tanks, and there cheap.
Make Your Own Sponge Filter (DIY FILTER PROJECTS)
How to make a DIY sponge filter [Forum - DIY] : American Livebearer Association

In reality you'll probably be fine w/ the 10g filter. it's not so much the size of the tank but the amount of waste that's going to be produced. I would assume your QT won't have more than 1 or 2 fish? If you have decorations/PVC for the fish to hide in the bacteria will colonize there as well.

But if you insist, gravel would be fine since you're not really using it as a substrate but more as a confined pile to house bacteria. In that case, put it in your sump/tank for a week or 2 and then move it to the QT when you need it.. Instant bacteria !

Back
Top Bottom