QT tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JumperAlex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10 gallon tank that I'm not using for anything and want to set it up as a QT/hospital tank. From what I have read I should just leave it bare (no sand or live rock). I have also heard that it is suggested to use a 20gallon for a QT tank(but I don't have one of those just sitting around...) Can I get away with at 10gallon QT tank or do I really need to get a larger one? I also planned on using a small HOB filter (would remove carbon if using the tank to medicate) would that work?

Bare bottom is preferred. Also I'm sure you can use the 10g, just really depends on what type of fish you are qting... I have a 20g set up. I also run 2 hob filters. 1 rated for 60 and the other rated for 20. Maybe put a little floss from your dts filter to help with cycle and establishing new qt. Finally I have a decent size l/r that I leave in the qt just for bb purposes. I would never remove it and out it into my dt.

My DT is 90g and the main fish I plan on having in it are a foxface(one spot or lo I haven't decided yet), Kole tang, flame angel and a wrasse of some kind that I haven't decided yet. Other then that I would like to have a CUC and maybe a small school of some kind maybe chromis. Would these be okay to pass through a 10 gallon QT? or to keep in general in a 90g DT? I would also like to know how much filtration I really need in a QT tank mainly because it is only 10g and it will be difficult to fit a large amount of filtration in it.

I've only been in the hobby for about 6 months. I really hope that some more experienced hobbiest reply. I personally would get a bigger qt if I were you. Unless you plan to only have 1 fish in the qt at a time. But even then it's still small. I'd have at least 3-4x the filtration. No carbon in filters, just sponges. Or filter pad.

Back
Top Bottom