Question About Cowfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marinefishman

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello All, I was Wondering If I can put a cowfish in a 55 gallon? If I can, I would take most of my fish out and just keep like my puffer, my clowns, and my blenny and damsel in. I know cowfish get big, but when It gets too big I would take him out. Any help?:confused:

You do know they will release a toxin and nuke you tank if they are stressed or die, right?

Yeah I know that it will release a toxin but thats only if it is stressed or someone is annoying it. I figured I would keep him with peaceful tankmates. Also I know they need a huge tank but, I would take him out when he gets to big.

They do need at least a 125g because of their poor maneuverability and eventual size. Also, not sure what kind of puffer you have, but if an Arothron I wouldn't.

I'm sure many people keep them in 55g, but then again many people don't know any better either. You should also be aware your porcupine puffer will eventually outgrow your 55g and very well holds the potential to stress and/or injure a cowfish/boxfish, especially two eventual large animals in a small tank.

That is true people don't know any better. I know he will eventually outgrow the tank. I love him so much And don't want to give him up! I might upgrade to a bigger tank though in the future that way I can keep him. So he actually could hurt the cowfish?

I have personally known puffers to bite the tips of their horns in small enclosures and puffers in general are known for biting lionfish fins and the eyes of stingrays. Puffers like to pick at things, but I agree with you...I love them! Usually you want to keep cowfish with very easy-going fish, i.e. anthias, fair wrasses, etc.

I know they are so cute! Mine is named Porky. He loves to eat alot! So Maybe I could try a cowfish? I don't think He will pick at him.

Even if your puffer doesn't bother him damsels are very aggressive and can stress out tank mates. An clowns especially when paired and have an established territory can be mean if someone gets to close to their "home". I would say you are taking a big risk putting in a box fish aside from the fact that it will quickly outgrow that tank.

to me it kinda sounds like you need to sit back and watch your tank for a little bit. soak in all the glory of what you've accomplished. maybe rearrange the rockwork. dont worry about adding more fish for a little bit. slow down. not saying dont get the fish, just some friendly advice. i was in that phase a while back. good luck! :eggface:

Back
Top Bottom