Question about lighting & temperature. Need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesd28

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just added a clown fish to my recently cycled tank and had a few questions.

1. I have read different opinions about lighting for a FOWLR tank, and want to know what you all think is the best thing to do. Some have said that a consistent lighting schedule of 8-10 hours/day is needed, and some have said that for fish only, the lighting isn't really necessary and you can turn on the different lights for desired viewing.

2. I live in Oregon and recently it has been in the 80s. Because of space constraints, I was forced to put my tank in the view of my bedroom window. I have shut the blinds completely and also hung a sheet over the window to help block the recent heat. My water temp has been fluctuating between 77-80 degrees. I know the desired temp is 72-78 degrees. I have already been adding the frozen water bottle. Anything else that you guys can recommend to help get a steady temp? I work from 8-5 m-f, so I am nervous about something happening while I am at work.

THANKS!:thanks:

A FOWLR needs no special lighting at all...just use basic strip lighting if you want..no need for t-5's or PC's....No need to have them on at any point really,,just when you want to see the fish would be fine,,,say from 6-10PM...or whenever..
Your temps are fine also....i wouldn't worry till it starts to hover at 85+...if it reaches 81-82 for a few days it will be fine...you don't need to use frozen ice bottles

A FOWLR needs no special lighting at all...just use basic strip lighting if you want..no need for t-5's or PC's....No need to have them on at any point really,,just when you want to see the fish would be fine,,,say from 6-10PM...or whenever..
Your temps are fine also....i wouldn't worry till it starts to hover at 85+...if it reaches 81-82 for a few days it will be fine...you don't need to use frozen ice bottles

Thanks for the feedback man! I am a newb to the forums, and haven't had a ton of luck with getting replies. There have been a few people that have been pretty helpful though. I left the daylight light on because with my window being completely closed, there is no natural light coming into my room (sucks! haha) and I didn't know if it would be ok to leave the fish in a dark room with no lighting for the whole day...this ok? Thanks again for your help! And sorry if I am asking dumb questions

We were all new at some point...no question is a dumb question,,but not asking questions is dumb:lol:I'm new to this forum too ,but been in SW for almost 6 years..i'll gladly answer any questions i can

Your fish will be just fine with no lights for hours,,days ,,whatever....plus you will probably not have an algae issue with such a short lighting cycle..
Also,not letting natural sunlight into the tank is a good thing too....that would really speed up the algae growing

Ok cool. Glad that lack of lighting while I'm at work wont harm the fish. For a small tank (14g BioCube), how often would you recommend feeding the fish? I got a pack of frozen brine shrimp

Brine shrimp is not good food..
Maybe get some mysis and krill instead...one clown ,,i would feed every other day ,,very small amounts

Really? I was told by the lfs that brine shrimp are a good food, especially for getting your fish in the habit of eating

If you want them to eat potato chips then yes:lol:...sorry ,i'm being silly...
Google feeding brine shrimp to saltwater fish good or bad, and see ....,,but like i said ,,i would stay away from them...
scallops are a great choice too....

Gotcha. I plan on heading back to the lfs today and getting some Omega One flakes or pellets as well as some frozen mysis or marine cuisine...does that sound like a better feeding plan? I read that for flakes, just a small pinch daily or every other day would be enough. What about for the frozen cubes of mysis/marine cuisine...one cube every other day?

Back
Top Bottom