Question about Starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jazztalker

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 75 gal FOWLR. I don't plan on making it into a reef aquarium, at least not any time soon. Can I put a starfish in my tank? If I can, any suggestions as to what kind might work well? I'd also like to get a few shrimp, as well as a few crabs and snails, will the starfish be ok with these? Thanks!

Sand Sifting stars are great for keeping your sand clean. I would only add 1 maybe two though

I like the greyish/pink brittles. Had mine for almost 2 years. You always see his legs, but he'll come out at night. Very peaceful too. I'd stay away from the sand sifters. I understand they deplete your sand bed of beneficial stuff and usually die.

Starfish will be OK with shrimp, crabs, and snails. How old is the tank and what fish will you ultimately have?

Keep in mind, any kind of sand sifting creature is going to rob your sand be of all micro fauna. I used to subscribe to the theory that you absolutely need these for your DSB to function, and that (for the most part is true), but...the sand sifting star also turns the top layer of sand and helps keep the detritus down. So, its a decision you have to make for yourself...but be aware your pods will disappear. :(

I should have mentioned that I don't have sand in my tank, I have crushed coral. Will this make a difference?

austinsdad said:
I like the greyish/pink brittles. Had mine for almost 2 years. You always see his legs, but he'll come out at night. Very peaceful too. I'd stay away from the sand sifters. I understand they deplete your sand bed of beneficial stuff and usually die.

Starfish will be OK with shrimp, crabs, and snails. How old is the tank and what fish will you ultimately have?

The tank is about 3 or 4 months old now. I wasn't planning on getting a starfish for at least another month or two, maybe even longer, but I was bored at work today and started looking at them online :lol:

Eventually, I want to have the following fish:

convict tang
yellow tang (maybe)
algae blenny
royal gramma (maybe)
copperband butterfly
a few spotted cardinalfish (maybe)
a few chromis (blue/green or black bar)
between 1 to 3 ocellaris clowns
flame angelfish
six line wrasse

I won't get all these fish, hence the "maybe"s. I also realize that some fish, such as the copperband, I have to wait awhile to put it in, but eventually I really would like to get one. Hope this helps. Thanks!

revhtree said:
If I had a FOWLR tank I would def. get this star! Red Knob Sea Star
Here is a link too it!
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/11...ria.com/images/products/bigimage/lg_78959.jpg
I have seen them locally and they are beautiful! Make sure you have plenty of LR and this star cannot be housed with a puffer..

Yeah, I've seen that one on liveaquaria.com and I've always thought it was really cool looking. How much LR would you say I'd need in my tank? I have about 50 lbs in there right now, but I do plan on starting to add more every now and then.

Great, thanks!!! I've never seen that star around where I live though. If I had to, and I really don't want to, would liveaquaria.com be a good place to order it from? Any other suggestions?

Crushed coral and sand sifters donw mix. They cant get the coral through their "filter". I would also look at switching to sand if you can. It wont trap detritus like CC will. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom