Questions from the saltwater newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apinkmanatee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone! So I'm new pretty new here, and have about a million questions for you all :) But I'm gonna start out with just a few...

Can someone explain what a sump is...and when is it needed?
About how much live rock is needed (my tank is 65 gal)? And what is a good ratio of base rock to live rock?
What does IMO mean??
Are yellow tangs ok in a 65 gallon? I was really hoping for a tang, and I've read different minumum gallon requirements for them.
What kind of water testing kits would you recommend? I think I saw somewhere that the strips are inaccurate?

I have a million more. But I think that's a good start. Thanks guys!

apinkmanatee said:
Hello everyone! So I'm new pretty new here, and have about a million questions for you all :) But I'm gonna start out with just a few...

Can someone explain what a sump is...and when is it needed?
About how much live rock is needed (my tank is 65 gal)? And what is a good ratio of base rock to live rock?
What does IMO mean??
Are yellow tangs ok in a 65 gallon? I was really hoping for a tang, and I've read different minumum gallon requirements for them.
What kind of water testing kits would you recommend? I think I saw somewhere that the strips are inaccurate?

I have a million more. But I think that's a good start. Thanks guys!

Welcome!!
1. A sump is another tank beneath your display tank. It acts as a filtration unit and a place to store all of your equipment.

2. I'd say about 70lbs base and 10lbs live.

3. In my opinion

4. Nope they need 6 feet of swimming room so a 125g minimum.

5. Sailfert are the best ones but API will work too. Also know that hydrometers are also inaccurate. Go with a Refractometer which are 99% accurate when calibrated correctly.

Hi there!
Most folks go for 1-1.5 lbs per gallon of water. It's up to you though. There's really no ratio of base to live rock. All your base will become live while your tank cycles. I went with a 20% live to 80% base and worked just fine.
IMO = in my opinion?
Check out liveaquaria.com for fish space need etc. The yellows need a larger tank than a 65g.
As for testing kits, stay away from strips. I switched over from API 9your basic cheap kit) to Red Sea and i like the Red Sea kits alot more. Much more accurate, and less of a guessing game with a color wheel etc. API is decent to start out with, but i'd recommend to just get a better test kit now sooner than later.

Back
Top Bottom