questions in general

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarius75

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I did not read the article about cycling my tank with a shrimp first, so now I have a tank with snails, n crabs. So based on what I read, is it safe to say it is too late to use this process to cycle?
Out of three (astraea) snails, one is left alive, two I removed as the crabs were eating them. Seven (nassarius) snails. I have been able to account for all but 1, cant find the little guy anywhere. HMMM. Not sure if dead or playing hide n seek. There are a couple that are now hiding in bed but mostly still hanging on side of tank.
I am assuming this is normal, to lose some. Honestly the two that died, never moved after they left the store. They clung to one another n that was that until the crabs got em.....stress......?!
Next week I will be getting the water test kits.....
But now after reading the article I do not want to hurt fish. SO what is the best thing now as I have a little crew working away in there.
Tank has been running about a week.....so still very early.
I also have question about my LR, would that be in his discussion or somewhere else? Ok that is if for the moment. Thank you for taking the time, I am so grateful.

They probably will not survive the cycle. It`s really not humane to leave them in there. Could your LFS watch them for you at his place? If you have any of the snails that are dead you could use them instead of a shrimp. BTW you can add your LR to this tank and cycle your tank and cure the LR at the same time. Welcome to AA

What is LFS?
The rock is already cured. It was out of tank from store. They told me it was good to go. Not sure about where I could put the cleaning crew. The dead snails are gone except for possible nassa that I can not find. Sooooo I will have to do some thinking. Thank you

LFS= Local fish store

OH OK I missed the part about it being cured LR. I would still get some SW test kits and be testing your water. You really dont know if he cured them all the way or not. But if he did then you might be OK. Your CUC should be OK if it is cured.

Your crabs should be able to survive in a bucket with a powerhead, heater and sponge filter for the cycling period. If you are quarantining (I hope) later you will need that equipment anyway.

I did not know about the quarantining until reading more on here. In all the talks with others no one had ever mentioned it so I will have to get that done also......thank you for you replies I am very appreciative. I do have a second store available to me for all SW supplies n fish, etc.....that is all they do. There tanks have been very good n he is the only one who has been consistant with what I have learned here. So I plan on making them my main local store.......they also have guaranteed their fish etc....which is really cool. So on that note I quess I will now get my little crew a temp home n continue with the process of cycling.

Can you tell me how long it take to see growth on my LR, the little worms, n starfish though I know they will be tiny?

Back
Top Bottom