quick advice needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikestanked

Aquarium Advice Freak
i just bought a maroon clown, and added it to my 30gal aquarium,i also have 2 azure damsels. here in-lies the issue, upon adding the clown i had the lights off and the damsels weren't to curious, i waited a hour then turned the lights on. they are picking on him like crazy, not both at once but the clown is kinda cornered by the filter inlet. both the clown and my damsels are just about the same size. i really dont want this maroon clown to croak overnight, HELP!
:confused:

im so ready to do this, but i can't catch the bastards! and at the moment dont have the funds to buy traps, assuming they will work. its been a total of about 20 minutes since i turned on the lights and they aren't pecking at him nearly as much. i should of never have bought those devil fish, i was totally mislead on the purchase. i knew that damsels themselves were aggressive, but was told that "azure" damsels weren't too aggressive. i've been in this hobby for a total of 5 months, and have done my fair share of research, i really just need to trust my own opinion!

Ya I had a single damsel that was dwarfed by my maroon clown and it constantly nipped so I took it back not worth losing a clown.

This is why damsels are avoided by most people. Im sorry to say but catching them usually involves taking out all your rock work so you can finally net them.

Good luck.

You can try this homemade trap. Depending on the size of the dam damsel you may not need to widen the hole. Make sure the sides are tight so they can't wriggle out but the way in should be safe due to the reverse funnel entry.

Attachments

• image-1960374688.jpg
    image-1960374688.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 90
Thanks everyone, I'm at my wit's end on this one, I just spent literally all morning trying to catch um. I tried the bottle trick but didn't have the success I wanted only the clown and my cleaner shrimp were interested. I even tried hunting them with a home made spear like an African native would to no avail. These "thugs" are tearing my maroon to pieces, literally. I'm going to turn the lights out for the remainder of the day, and if things keep getting worse I'm going to resort to my last (very unwanted) task of removing the rocks and netting those punks. I almost to the point of frustration that they will go strait from the tank to the toilet, but then again they don't know any better but to protect their territory

Just because you are upset doesnt mean you should flush them... That just seems wrong, i hope you were joking because a local fish store will gladly take a free fish...

I caught my fish with a net. My brother would chase it from its hiding spot and i would have a net ready. The fish liked 2 hiding spots in the tank, they have patterns. If you can identify their favorite spots you will be able to predict their next moves... Then i hope you have good reflexes.

I apologize for not making my last statement clear, I felt as if I wanted to flush them, it doesn't mean I'm going to, and if I were I wouldn't incriminate myself like that. But with the LR I have having a ton of hiding spots its going to be hard to catch, but I haven't asked my girlfriend to help me yet. Maybe that's the next step.

Oops sorry for accusing you, but thats what it looked like you said.. Lol

I would try and catch them late at night when they are sleeping.... I know i could probably grab any of my sleeping fish lol

When I had to catch 2 Sergeant Majors in my old 135, I used sticks and various kitchen utensils, to block as many of the caves as I could. Even though it still took almost 4 hours, the blockages threw them off their game just enough. I did have to move some rock too, but finally got em'!!
Gladly given back to the LFS!! They both had gotten over 3", and we're tank Pirhana!! That was my first and last dealing with Damsels.

no worries nu-nu, i've calmed down a lot, after a few beers and some time all is well, i just concerned with the overall health and look of my maroon. although the damsels are amazing looking im not willing to have them run my tank, not being able to add any more fish. i've also employed my GF and were getting a game plan going!(y)

Yes they do... My fish had torn fins and they healed in 1 day. Just make sure your water is very clean

Ok, success! I caught one, and left the other one in. Now he thinks he owns the tank! :( but he is not as aggressive. One step at a time, and my LFS took the fish now its someone else's problem!

Back
Top Bottom