Raising pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
In my 20 gallon FOWLR, I did a pH test today, and it came out at 8.0, which is on the low side.

My KH is 9, which is smack in the middle of where it should be.

I was thinking of using SeaChem's Marine Buffer to bring up the pH to 8.3. However, I'm concerned that it might screw up my KH. Am I being paranoid?

(Full disclosure, I'm using RO/DI water with Instant Ocean Sea Salt).

I would not add anything. How is the gas exchange? Do you have a good amount of surface area exposed to air, and is the surface somewhat turbulent? This will effect ph.

There is a very loose fitting (so they don't jump) plastic cover that will be replaced with a screen cover shortly. That being said, there is a large opening, the length of the tank by about 2 1/2 inches deep, in the back.

The surface is moderately turbulent; I will be putting a HOB on the back so that I can run Purigen, so that will stir things up even more.

That may be enough to raise it a bit. I wouldn't be overly worried if the PH stayed at 8, just as long as it wasn't fluctuating a lot.

It's still at 8.0-ish. I might borrow a digital pH meter from a friend to get a second opinion. ..esp since this tank will eventually have corals.

Back
Top Bottom