ready to convert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrp1588

Aquarium Advice Addict
The short story, in the spring I'll have an open 55gal tank. After being convinced that a FOWLR tank would be affordable, I'm leaning towards setting one up. For more details, check out the thread.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/what-to-do-with-a-55gal-109772.html

Right now I'm looking at a fairly basic setup.

-69lbs of florida base rock from macrorocks.com...I know, not the best, but it's all I can afford
-couple maxi-jet powerheads to move water around
-couple bags of aragonite sand
-skimmer...well that's still somewhat up in the air

I was originally looking at a skilter, but discovered it received bad reviews. I decided to extend my skimmer budget to the $100 area to see what I could get. I found the coralife super skimmer 65. Seems to be rated well enough, but I read it can be difficult to set up in a HOB setup. (I have no sump) I also read good things about the Octopus HOB units. Another member recommended a remora HOB unit, I found a few on ebay in my price range, but none included the pump, so that would be another $20 or so.

By the way, I haven't even considered fish. What would be some good beginner fish for a 55gal?

I'm getting sleepy and my mind is wandering. Anything else I should know?

i would say make it a "PROJECT" tank your time do it slow and go with a FOWLR set up. try this website for some rock www.rockquatics.com they have base rock and soemtimes will supply you with a quater pound of LR rubble to seed your BR. Those powerheads will do fine and maybe you can eventully switch to different ones. The only problem you maybe come into is the protein skimmer which lke i said make it a project. look around a bit.

some great tanks ive seen started out as a project tank. You should have no trouble turning this into a great tank. Just remember nothing in saltwater is fast.

you have to email and get pieces priced out on the website.sorry about that they can send you pieces of what you want. also look on ebay!!

I've purchased from marcorocks and have been very happy.
Livestock....hmmm, in my 55, I only have 2 no bar clowns (aka naked clowns) a tangaroya goby and a pistol shrimp.
Are you looking to do a specific region or are you looking to do specific colors?
.....aaaand, are you looking to do reef in the future?
I don't run a skimmer on my 55 (FOWLR).

I don't really have anything specific at all in terms of livestock. I'd just like to know what can be done. Something fairly colorful and active. reef is a possibility in the future, but certainly not for starters. I also don't see myself being able to afford some of the fancier lights you reef guys get anytime soon...I need a new car before I can get a $1000 light, sorry. haha. I could probably shell out another $200 or so down the road and get a 4X 54watt T5 HO. I guess if I'm feeling super rich I could get this.

I am not familiar with that brand, but in lighting and some other equipment, I think it might be better to buy your car and save up (since you are not planning on corals yet), and get a more cost effective lighting fixture now and upgrade later...or do a DIY system.

I currently own the 4X t5ho. I've got it over my 75gal planted tank. It's a really nice unit. Individual reflectors, moonlights, and my plants grow like crazy.

Do you have the nova extreme or the extreme pro? The pro has the "individual" reflectors. Keep in mind, the pro does not have the parabolic reflectors. I have the pro as well, I upgraded from the older version (nova extreme). Either way, both are good for what you want to do now.

LOL, duh, I was reading my response and saw nova mentioned, thinking it was your post! LOL! Sorry about that.
For a FOWLR, you will be good to go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom