Rearranged my rock again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
And need a new 10k light that's more blue than white so that's why the left is more bright (I'm just replacing my bulbs 1 set every week or so) which is where my nocturnal fish hangs out, weird. The Oc. Clowns seem to prefer the blue! HA! But the tank is coming along nicely, I need to pace myself on the spending!

image-3756002255.jpg

Wow love the aqua scape how many pounds of rock is that?

Tank looks great

THANKS!!

Wow love the aqua scape how many pounds of rock is that?

Thanks!! IDK. But I've been told by our AA experts I need 50lbs more. HA!! I used to kinda have it all low in wall'ish type form w/ caves & ledges but not much open sand. I also have LR in my refugium style sump.

Aquascaping is up to the owner...the person that's pays for it and has to live with it. IMO as long as there is at least a pound or two of rock some where in the water volume (tank, sump refuge) then the filtration system is okay in regards to rock.

RJT said:
Aquascaping is up to the owner...the person that's pays for it and has to live with it. IMO as long as there is at least a pound or two of rock some where in the water volume (tank, sump refuge) then the filtration system is okay in regards to rock.

Thats not an accurate statement at all. Just as an example, youre saying that "a pound or two" of live rock is sufficient to filter his tank. Now lets compare the 1 pound to a same exact 50lbs of the rock, thats 50x more filtering potential. So the 50 minutes it would take the 1 lb rock to convert ammonia would take the 50lb stack a minute. The amount of live rock needed to bold a tank stable is very important. (there are exceptions but ill leave that for another time)

Thats not an accurate statement at all. Just as an example, youre saying that "a pound or two" of live rock is sufficient to filter his tank. Now lets compare the 1 pound to a same exact 50lbs of the rock, thats 50x more filtering potential. So the 50 minutes it would take the 1 lb rock to convert ammonia would take the 50lb stack a minute. The amount of live rock needed to bold a tank stable is very important. (there are exceptions but ill leave that for another time)

I took it as he/she meant 1-2lbs per gallon, so either 75lbs or up to 150lbs for my tank since it's a 75g. Not that I *must have* 150lbs. That's how I took it at least. And as long as the filtration is working for my bioload, I should be golden ;)

I took it as he/she meant 1-2lbs per gallon, so either 75lbs or up to 150lbs for my tank since it's a 75g. Not that I *must have* 150lbs. That's how I took it at least. And as long as the filtration is working for my bioload, I should be golden ;)

That's correct I meant to say per gallon

I need to weigh the rock, see what I have just for sh'ts 'n giggles... then, I can honestly answer whether I have enough or not! HA! It's honestly gonna drive me crazy til I do! That's my perfectionism or OCD or something breakin' through... I think any successful tank keeper probably has a touch of that anyway ;)

I apologize, i took it as you meant a single pound or two in the entire tank. Misunderstanding on my part

No need to apologize I need to start reading my own posts at least once before I hit submit

I need to weigh the rock, see what I have just for sh'ts 'n giggles... then, I can honestly answer whether I have enough or not! HA! It's honestly gonna drive me crazy til I do! That's my perfectionism or OCD or something breakin' through... I think any successful tank keeper probably has a touch of that anyway ;)

IMO I wouldn't weigh it now since it is aquascaped how you want it. More experienced reefers can probably look at your tank and estimate how much you have.

IMO I wouldn't weigh it now since it is aquascaped how you want it. More experienced reefers can probably look at your tank and estimate how much you have.

Yes, they seem to think they can. That would be my reason to weigh it! HA!! :p

I mean technically there would be a way to measure the displaced water volume, as long as you had a baseline for how much water 1 lb displaces. You should be able to get close

I mean technically there would be a way to measure the displaced water volume, as long as you had a baseline for how much water 1 lb displaces. You should be able to get close

Wouldn't that still require pulling all the rock out? Or draining the tank & measuring how much water was in there? Either way, you'd have to remove all of the water OR all of the rock to see/measure the diff. Might as well weigh it! Plus IDK if all my rock came from the same source or what density it is or would even be able to guess the density due to not knowing what type of rock it is. But yeah, if I had no scale. Water displacement could be a good measure!

Back
Top Bottom