Red Hair Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryggumb

Aquarium Advice Freak
I’m trying to get rid of this red hair algae. It hasn’t really spread. But it won’t leave even with water changes and blackouts for a few days. I just introduced another 3200 gallon per hour powerhead to increase the flow in my tank. The tank is 75 gallons with a 20 gallon sump. Any advice how to get rid of it once and for all? Was also thinking about adding some corals to the tank but didn’t want to until the red hair Algae had been taken care of.

Looks like cyanobacteria to me. Low flow in those areas. Simply increase the flow in that area by either adjusting current powerheads or adding another.

Thank you! So far it’s working just slowly. I increased the flow and put a power head aimed directly at the main spot. Seems to be slowly shrinking and being broken up! Hopefully all gone soon

You can siphon it out but you'll want a large diameter hose to get lots of suction so you'll end up doing a decent sized wc.

Back
Top Bottom