Red Spot on my Liverock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ayieh29

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello guys! Last night I saw these things on my live rock. My tank is still cycling for 2 weeks now and it just suffered to GHA attack last week. I tried to do a search for this things in the internet and didn't got any satisfying answer. The spot is kinda reddish to purplish color its not slimy at all nor hairy like the GHA. I'm not sure if this is a red algae. I got concerned with the GHA minor outbreak and I might go nuts if an algae outbreak will occur again but what can I do but to work on it right?

I need all the advice I could get... Thank you!

Here is some of the photos to help the identification:

Attachments

• IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_0299.jpg
    IMG_0299.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 269
Check the phosphate level of the water source you're using. Hair algae loves that stuff I believe.

Thank you, I will and also I was trying to identify the red spot on my live rock, I don't know what it is.

In the 1st pic, the deep purple colored spots near the bottom left look like cyanobacteria. It's very common in a new, cycling system. And if it recently showed up I would rule out coralline algae just because your water is too unstable to grow it at this point.

In the 1st pic, the deep purple colored spots near the bottom left look like cyanobacteria. It's very common in a new, cycling system. And if it recently showed up I would rule out coralline algae just because your water is too unstable to grow it at this point.

Thank you for the info! Is it harmful? If it is, what should I need to do? Is it going to go away by itself?

Thanks, again!

What bothers me is that you said that it's not slime? cyanobacteria is slime in texture. So does it rub off or not?

Some parts do look like cyano. Like Austinsdad said check your phosphate level. Have you used tap water for your tank?

What bothers me is that you said that it's not slime? cyanobacteria is slime in texture. So does it rub off or not?

No... not at all. Me and my gf is taking turn to observe it and making notes, comparing pictures to see if there are any further growth. As far as our observation goes, we didn't see any other growth on other areas. I've seen pictures of some tank and it wasn't good. Not slimy... for now. I hope it will not go that way. Thank you guys for all of your inputs.

Some parts do look like cyano. Like Austinsdad said check your phosphate level. Have you used tap water for your tank?

Yah, we did start of with tap water and I bought some R/O water, incase I need to do water change. The tank is still cycling, some folks tells me to do water change to level down the ammonia,nitrates, nitrites same as the phosphate while other folks tells me not to do water change. Kinda getting confused with that part.

If your ammonia is really high (7-8)8) 8) then I would do a small water change if not just wait to the end of your cycle, ammonia 0, nitrites 0 and do a 50% PWC to bring your nitrates down before you add any tank life.
Sorry for all the cool looks but for some reason my computer won't let me add an 8...

*update*

It's been more than a day now since discovering the reddish/purplish spot on my LR. Initial, observation with the tank, water is clear, no white things attach to the glass. LS is not showing any carpeting characteristics of cyanobacteria. The spots are not multiplying and it remains in the area where it is initially found, again these spots are not slimy like a cyanobacteria. I keep in check the water parameters.

Most recent reading:

Ammonia = .25
Phosphate = .50
Nitrate = 20 ppm
Nitrite = .50
pH = 8.4
Temp = 76
KH = 300

Since the phosphate reading is .50, should I do a minor water change? same is with my other parameters. my nitrite is kinda high.

P.S.

Taking a closer look the color of these spots is the same color as the underlying color of the current color of LR which is white. I will try to post pics that have better quality.

Thank you again!

Better Pictures

Hello again! I found a nice camera that I can use to capture some more detailed photo of the growing red spots.

Please take a look...

Note: I took pictures with and without lighting

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC00146.jpg
    DSC00146.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC00170.jpg
    DSC00170.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC00163.jpg
    DSC00163.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC00150.jpg
    DSC00150.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 103
That may be some sort of plating coralline algae. just let it go, it should be okay. At first I thought they were mushroom corals because they seem to have a yellowish dot in the center that I thought were mouths like a mushroom would have.

Looks like the start of this type of coralline algae:
img_1093983_0_d76cac7c5053aac3367910adb2374856.jpg

Thank you thincat! I appreciate your input now I can sleep well :) and yes it is showing a little of color just like yours. Its starting to show to some of my live rocks. Same distinct characteristics as well. It is the benefial algae right? Love the pic you posted.

Back
Top Bottom