Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottm84

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I was just wondering how big or small does a refugium have to be to make an impact on your tank. I have a spare nano tank I could use for the fuge but not a lot of cabinet space under my DT so would it be worth it?

My tank is 180 litre. How big would the fuge need to be to make a difference and maybe I could work from there. Thanks :)

Alot of hobbyists go with 40-50% of the dt for their refugium. For instance fr a 125g, a 55 is pretty common.

It's only 15 litre so nowhere near enough to make any difference really. I will have to consider different options I guess. This is my first post and already one problem solved :) I really appreciate your input, thank you :)

I have a 4.7 gal hob refugium/skimmer combo on the back of my 30 gal DT. The cheato doubles in size every 2 weeks, my phosphates have dropped to 0 and nitrates have gone to almost 0 as well. It may not provide a lot of tank "inertia" but is doing a great job pulling out the nitrates with a mere 17watt CFL bulb.
That's why i think any amount of refugium is with it.

Wow I never expected that. I may have to give it a second thought then. Next problem being an overflow box to the nano and finding someway to return the water without taking up all the space in the nano with a return pump. Any suggestions?

That would work out really well actually because I'm just about to buy two new powerheads which means I'll have two spare. Didn't even occur to me. Thank you so much for your help and input :)

Back
Top Bottom