Reusing Old Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omcnair

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a 300 reef tank with 450 lbs of live rock and a whole lot of sand.
The lights, pump, and filter have been turned off for almost a full year.
I'm getting ready to start a smaller tank (95g) and I am wondering if it is o.k. to reuse the old live rock.

It has always been submersed in salt water. There is no film on the water or foul smell coming from the tank.

What about the sand? Can I reuse that too?

I would start up the pumps again and everything and see if you still dont have a foul smell.

The live rock by now has probaly become void of most life but will be a good bed for bactera to start growing on it again.

Hey Omcnair,
are you going to use all 450 lbs ? I'm looking to set up a 75g reef in the not to distant future(although it feels very distant) probably around June, and am looking for some inexpensive base rock. Going to buy some LR when the time is right. I'd be willing to purchase some from you if we can come to agreement on price. Again, I'm looking for inexpensive base rock, and have several months to put this all together. Let me know if you have any interest.

My e-mail vrmonstr@suscom-maine.net

Mike

you will have a hard time fitting all that in a 95. I would mix it half and half with new live rock in your new tank.

Back
Top Bottom