Reusing salt from water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karlseith

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it possible or even ok to try to somehow reuse the salt in water removed during a water change?? It sure would save a boat load of money. I was thinking of just letting the water evaporate over time in a shallow container and simply scrape off the remaining salt.

I have been known to recycle water changed from the reef to the FOWLR and quarantine tanks, but I would not reuse it in my reef.

Using the evaporated salt is not advisable IMO, the salt will crystalize and I imagine many of the elements would precipitate out, it would kind of be like using rock salt.

I"m not sure I would do this. Water changes replace trace elements that are used up in the tank and also remove wastes in the water.

That would be my biggest concern in trying to reuse change water. The usual reason you change the water is to replace trace elements that are consumed by the critters in your tank. Those trace elements won't be in the change water so you'll eventually (and likely quickly) end up with little to no of those elements in your system's water.

You can buy trace element solutions but I'd be very careful what you add to your tank. Salt really isn't that expensive and by the time you buy replacement chemicals and test kits your probably better off just buying more salt.

You can buy trace element solutions but I'd be very careful what you add to your tank. Salt really isn't that expensive and by the time you buy replacement chemicals and test kits your probably better off just buying more salt.

Agreed. It would be cheaper just to mix your own salt.

I do agree with RR in that if the used water is simply being used in a FO tank, it should be ok. I know two friends who do this. The only problem one may run into (other than lower than normal trace elements) is that there may be a high nitrate problem with the used water.

Back
Top Bottom