?'s....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dtprkr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm a newbee so please bear with me! I have a 55 gallon tank that is about ready for my sw FOWLR. The issue that i am concerned about, is the sand/cc bedding. I can't find the "downsouth tropical sand", my HD doesn't have it. What is my alternative for sand? I thought i remember reading on AA that i should also layer or mix the downsouth sand with crushed rock, is that correct? Also, could you please recommend a very adequate hang on the back filter and skimmer. I would like to purchase somethin with plenty stamina for job on a 55 gallon tank. Thanks for you time and consideration!

ps.. i already have 2 powerheads.. (whisper 550)

you won't find the Southdown sand again until spring. It's seasonal. Most recommend NOT mixing sand and CC as the sand will eventually simply settle down to the bottom of the tank anyway. You have two options: wait till spring and look for southdown sand then, or buy something else. You can pay big bucks for CaribSeas agronite sand or any Sterilized play sand.

I don't have a skimmer on my system so I can't really offer much advice, I hear good things about Remora skimmers, and if I were going to get one, it would be a AquaC Remora.

stick with your powerheads, you don't need hang on filters. Go with a cpr bak-pak or an Aqua C remora. the seaclones aren't that great unless you spend the time to modify them...I'd rather have something that worked well out of the box, and I know my cpr does, and only hear good things about the Remora's (which are spendy).

Skip the crushed coral, and go with 100% sand, argonite. You'll need a couple bags of caribsea argamax sand. They're only about $30 a bag. Considering the cost of live rock, lighting, and a skimmer, $60-$80 for sand is a small purchase.

I also hear very good things about the Remoras. I've been using a bakpak for a while now, and will likely purchase one for my next tank, though I'm considering the Remoras.

Thanks a million, for the advice. Which model of the CPR bak-pak do i need? I saw a bak-pak 2R and I saw a bak-pak dual combo. Is there anything else that i seem to be forgetting? thanks again for your consideration.

Thanks a million, for the advice. Which model of the CPR bak-pak do i need? I saw a bak-pak 2R and I saw a bak-pak dual combo. Is there anything else that i seem to be forgetting? thanks again for your consideration.

Back
Top Bottom