Saddle Valentini Puffer in 10 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duoc9119

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10 gallon tank that I am planning on putting JUST ONE Valentini Puffer in. I am looking at some live rock, aragonite, 2 AquaClear power filters on both ends for filtration because these guys are messy, a power head towards the front of the tank pointed towards the side, and a heater. I am thinking of letting the live rock cure as well as cycling the tank at the same time.

I know that many will say a 30 gallon is the minimum size I should have to the fish mainly due to waste products and such but I think the 2 filters will be enough. This is also going to be the only fish in the tank.

Good luck and welcome to AA. I don't share your optimism and fear for the fish.

Would a 20 gallon tank be any better? With the same equipment? Or possibly a 15 long?

Every fish according to its size and activity requires a certain amount of room to swim, something about so many gallons per wieght or length or something like that, I've read it mentioned on here before but not entirely sure as to the specifics b/c I'm not yet into fish b/c all I have IS a 10g. So, please someone help me out here who better knows what I'm talking about.

I DO plan to do fish in my 10g but only maybe 1-3 and VERY small fish at that. Someone else here should know better than me but I thought I would get the ball rolling on that tid-bit since I haven't seen it mentioned yet but I know there is something to it.

-Brett

Being that the puffer is a messy eater is one of the reasons. Even at a minimum of 30 gallons you need an extremely effective filtration system. More water volume is a good thing when it comes to a puffer. Most places recommend a 30 gallon but IMO it needs to be a 55 gallon at least. Like I said that is IMO.

I'm not sure what thread but I found it at the bottom in the similar threads section and someone seems to be successful with a valentini in a 20 gallon. So maybe I can give it a shot?

I am upgrading to a JBJ 28 QUAD tank, I'm guessing that is enough for this little guy? It has everything but a heater, thermometer, live rock and sand

Back
Top Bottom