SALT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MRC- Nah I'm good, never proclaimed any knowledge here, just looking for insight, I appreciate it all..

Good looks KSum, I'll do some research on all this stuff

KSum89 said:
I just recently learned what dosing is myself from alot of reading on this forum and google. Its basically adding a certain amount of dry mix (calcium additive for example) and water into a high flow area in your tank for added calcium/alk and other things for consitant levels for a healthy growing reef tank.

But for reef salt, even though im just sticking with the regular IO salt.. Id reccomend either reef crystals or red sea coral pro.

That isn't even the ideal way to do it which could lead to some issues with finicky corals.. dosing should be done as slow as possible preferably through a dose pump or slow drip. Since I don't own a dose pump I use a large cup of Ro/Di water mixed with what I'm dosing and place it above my sump with a siphon running into the sump of about 2 drops a second.. food for thought ;)

Mrc8858 said:
That isn't even the ideal way to do it which could lead to some issues with finicky corals.. dosing should be done as slow as possible preferably through a dose pump or slow drip. Since I don't own a dose pump I use a large cup of Ro/Di water mixed with what I'm dosing and place it above my sump with a siphon running into the sump of about 2 drops a second.. food for thought ;)

Think I'll let the pros mix it for me!

Mrc8858 said:

Well i dont have any corals yet, only fish and live rock. Im just getting used to it myself. Im just looking to "purple up" my rocks for right now.

Well if you get into corals please don't dump in a full dose. Your corals will thank you. The key thing for a reef tank is consistent numbers and the faster a fluctuation in those numbers the better chance of coral loss even a "snow storm" effect. Don't know the exact science behind it off hand but your calcium or something will snow down on your tank and pretty much kill everything and all you can do is sit back and watch : /

Mrc8858 said:
Well if you get into corals please don't dump in a full dose. Your corals will thank you. The key thing for a reef tank is consistent numbers and the faster a fluctuation in those numbers the better chance of coral loss even a "snow storm" effect. Don't know the exact science behind it off hand but your calcium will or something will snow down on your tank and pretty much kill everything and all you can do is sit back and watch : /

Thanks, About time im ready for corals i will know enough to keep everyone happy. My mom has to take care of my aquarium while im away at school and so far i havent lost anything but a goby jumping out of my qt tank. So i wont even ask her to get involved into coral tank. so hopefully after school, ill have 100+ gallon reef tank along with the fish i already had for 2 years.

Wish i could have the aquarium im my apt

Oh yea I won't jump into anything... My LFS is awesome and will help out with mixing/dosing/ whatever I need...

Instant Ocean is a perfectly fine salt for any type of saltwater tank, FOWLR or full blown reef. Don't get fooled by marketing ploys and pay a higher price for a so called "reef salt". Every major brand of salt mixes to parameters that are acceptable for any type of setup.

Back
Top Bottom