SALT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I hear the Instant Ocean salt isn't that great quality. 2 questions. 1- is this true (especially for a FOWLR) and 2- if I switch, would any harm be done by using the new salt in 10% weekly changes?

For fowlr you shouldn't be to concerned about it there all pretty much the same when it comes to that.. when you get into corals its a whole other story though

Ok so if I plan on adding corals, I need to change... Same with anemones? I want to give my mocha clowns a house!

Anemones I'm not so sure about but yes you'll need reef salt

If you just dose a 2 part or 3 part of dry calcium /alk , instant ocean will do just as good as any reef salt. Plus regular instant ocean doesnt have any extra additives so it wont have any trace of ammonia.

Ksum- doing that will be ok for corals/anemones? I have about 50% left of a instant ocean bucket I don't wanna toss!

I hear the Instant Ocean salt isn't that great quality. 2 questions. 1- is this true (especially for a FOWLR) and 2- if I switch, would any harm be done by using the new salt in 10% weekly changes?

There's a reason nearly all large & public aquariums use Instant Ocean salt. It cheaper and it works.:)

Your inverts won't care if you use a reef salt or not. There is enough iodine in IO for your crabs etc. Anemones don't need a reef salt.

If you're going corals, then you can use a reef salt or stick with a regular salt and just dose as needed. Up to you.

KSum89 said:
If you just dose a 2 part or 3 part of dry calcium /alk , instant ocean will do just as good as any reef salt. Plus regular instant ocean doesnt have any extra additives so it wont have any trace of ammonia.

There's more to a quality salt mix then just your alkalinity and calcium. What about you iodine,
strontium, magnesium and many other elements that are needed to sustain corals long term

I use instant ocean regular crystals for my fowlr and reef ones for my reef tanks. I have had zero issues with it and will continue to use it. :) I've tried a few other brands but did not notice any difference so I'm sticking with the cheaper salt that works just as well.

I do dose a couple times a week in my 125g but that's due to the amount of corals I have in there and my water change schedule. If you go with weekly water changes you should not run into any problems with the instant ocean.

For the record, people have strong opinions on salt mixes and everyone has a favorite so my best advice is to use whats working for you and find your own favorite. :-D

You'll have to have every test you can get just to dose to proper levels which would be way more expensive and time consuming then just getting the correct bucket of salt

Benamayer said:
Ksum- doing that will be ok for corals/anemones? I have about 50% left of a instant ocean bucket I don't wanna toss!

Yes it will be perfectly ok. The 2 part will provide you with what your additives the salt is low in... You will just have to test your calcium and alk and maintain them.

I'd try Seachem reef calcium along with reef builder from drsfostersmith site OR the 2 part or 3 part from Bulk reef supply. The BRS route will be cheaper, but IMO you get what you pay for and im using the Seachem brand for right now. I may switch though when i run low...

Read up and google on the products

Mrc8858 said:
You'll have to have every test you can get just to dose to proper levels which would be way more expensive and time consuming then just getting the correct bucket of salt

You have consistent numbers just using a brand of salt? What salt are you using, no one brand of reef salt will give you the same numbers as the next aquatics.

KSum89 said:
You have consitent numbers just using a brand of salt? What salt are you using, no one brand of reef salt will give you the same numbers as the next aquatics.

Not exactly consistent but if your dosing there could be a potentially huge difference especially in a small tank. I would only advise dosing a tank of corals after getting some experience of how things actually work in a reef system especially when you can just buy a salt for a few more bucks that has everything

Mrc8858 said:
Not exactly consistent but if your dosing there could be a potentially huge difference especially in a small tank. I would only advise dosing a tank of corals after getting some experience of how things actually work in a reef system especially when you can just buy a salt for a few more bucks that has everything

Well i dont know how big his aquarium is, but you could be right IF its smaller than 40 gallons.. Dosing is being consistent, just using brand reef salt isnt. One batch could have built up ammonia from the extra added gunk, one batch could have high calc while the next one is nearly perfect.

Hate to sound like a NOOB.. But what exactly is dosing? Only a month deep into the hobby! 8-X

Benamayer said:
Hate to sound like a NOOB.. But what exactly is dosing? Only a month deep into the hobby! 8-X

Exactly my point and absolutely no offense to you benamayer but dosing should not be practiced by the novice reef keeper imo to many chances for a huge mistake which could.cost a lot when we are talking about a $10 difference in salt

Let the pros mix it up for you until you feel comfortable with the make up of your water to the extent that you can reproduce ideal conditions lol

Why would I take offense to that? I'm admitting I'm new, I just wanted to know about the salt I'm using lol... I like the options tho!

Benamayer said:
Why would I take offense to that? I'm admitting I'm new, I just wanted to know about the salt I'm using lol... I like the options tho!

I've learned to tread lightly on these forums since a lot of people seem to be offended by the smallest things anymore :)

I just recently learned what dosing is myself from alot of reading on this forum and google. Its basically adding a certain amount of dry mix (calcium additive for example) and water into a high flow area in your tank for added calcium/alk and other things for consistant levels for a healthy growing reef tank.

But for reef salt, even though im just sticking with the regular IO salt.. Id reccomend either reef crystals or red sea coral pro.

Back
Top Bottom