Saltwater Aquarium Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha as long as its okay (y)

And I really hope that it doesn't nuke the tank! I don't want a bunch of dead fishes :(

Haha as long as its okay (y)

And I really hope that it doesn't nuke the tank! I don't want a bunch of dead fishes :(

You will be fine. Try finding stories of ppl with Valentini puffers that were sick or died. Ill bet you none ended with their whole tank being nuked.

I looked it up, and it said that they do have poison on parts of their skin, but you don't really have to worry about it. The only way this poison can hurt anything is if we eat it, or it dies; they might release the poison after they die, but it is very rare and unlikely to happen.

Okay so now that that's cleared up, I've chosen that I'm going to get...

-2 chromis
-2 clownfish
-1 valentini puffer
-assorted snails and urchins

What other fish would you all recommend for a 65 gallon FOWLR or how many more do you think I can fit in this tank?

Coral beauty or flame angel

Sent from my XT1058 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I actually really like the flame angle, but it's a bit expensive; it is still a very strong possibility.

Just wondering, what method do you use to acclimate your fish and how long? I'm planning on using the drip method.

How do you do the drip method?

The drip method is the one preferred by most modern aquarists. It not only allows your fish to get used to the temperature of your tank, but also adjusts them to the pH, hardness, and numerous other water parameters. It is easy to do and only takes about 30 minutes to an two hours depending on the speed of dripping.

As the name implies the drip method of acclimation, or drip acclimation, introduces aquarium water at a controlled rate of mere droplets per second. This precision control greatly minimizes stress on new arrivals. Drip acclimation generally involves a siphon device and a method of regulating aquarium water entering the container housing new arrivals. Aquarium water is introduced at a rate of about 2-4 drips per second. Until the recent past, drip acclimation devices were handmade and employed mostly by experienced reef aquarium hobbyists. However, this "advanced" technique of acclimation can be enjoyed by hobbyist of all levels thanks to the availability of convenient, commercial drip acclimation devices.

(Copy and pasted from websites)

Put the fish with all the bag water in a bucket or container of sufficient size for the fish to be reasonably covered with the water.

Set the bucket on the floor next to the aquarium you will be placing the fish into when done.
Using some plastic air line tubing and an air gang value, set up and run a siphon drip line from the aquarium you will be placing the fish into, to the bucket.

Start the siphon and slowly allow the tank water to drip into the bucket, using the gang air valve to adjust the drip rate.

When the water dripped into the bucket equals about two to three times the volume of the bag water you started with. If you want you can test the pH, salinity and temperature of the bag water to see if these parameters match that of your tank water at this point to check if acclimation is complete.

Gently remove the fish and place it into the same tank the dripped in water came from.

(Step by step instructions also copied from a website)

Oh okay so like a regular siphon but the gang valve for air tubing would be too small wouldn't it

I have no idea. You can buy a kit for it pretty cheap at your lfs. Some guy got one for $3 cause its basically tubing with an air valve to control the rate of drip.

I looked it up and I get it now where do you get one of those things that you control the flow with

I haven't actually gotten one, but it would probably be in a local fish store near you, or you can buy it online.

What do you use instead?

I haven't set up my tank yet! I'm buying the live rock and water tomorrow :)

I'm planning to use that method when I buy my fish a month from now haha

Ohh haha I just started my cycle so excited to get something in there

Back
Top Bottom