Saltwater Aquarium Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is this your first tank? This would be my first saltwater tank and I'm so excited! Can't wait for it to finish cycling :)

Yes but they are hardy. But not very hardy. Make sure your parameters are in check also. Any more questions feel free to ask.

Had a porcupine die in my tank... I would have had to pull all the rock to get him out and I have a 180.... After a day or two the snails and crabs did their job and cleaned him up... No negative side effects to my reef tank.

Is this your first tank? This would be my first saltwater tank and I'm so excited! Can't wait for it to finish cycling :)

Yes it is! Well saltwater tank sort of a big jump from 10 gallon to this I'm currently cycling with shrimp and I'm regretting that now

Sent from my XT1058 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha I'm actually from a 5.5 gallon freshwater tank to a 65 gallon saltwater! I'm going to cycle it with live rock.

So the stick a dead shrimp in the aquarium is a bad idea?

Yes I haven't seen ammonia in my tests yet and should've cycled with bottled ammonia why are you doing live rock?

It's one of the best ways to cycle a tank and is usually recommended by aquarist. The die off from the rock is what cycles the tank.

One of the best ways to cycle a tank is through the introduction of live rock. These are natural pieces found in the ocean and contain a multitude of life in and on them to get your cycling underway. Placing live rock into your new system jump starts the cycling process. Ammonia is produced as some animals on the rock die off and others excrete waste. In addition, the live rock also contains the beneficial bacteria groups needed to convert ammonia to nitrites, and nitrites to nitrates.

The time it takes to cycle a tank with live rock varies on how 'fresh' the rock is. Rock recently harvested from the ocean (not 'cured') will have a great deal of life on it that will not survive the rigors of transportation and being removed from the ocean. This rock will have a lot of die-off that will trigger significant ammonia and nitrite spikes which can make the cycling process last a few weeks.

There is also pre-cured live rock, which means that the vast majority of the die-off has already occurred before you receive it, however, further transportation can still cause smaller ammonia and nitrite spikes. Cycling with pre-cured live rock can still take 2–4 weeks or so.

(Copied from a website)

Then, finally, there is cured live rock. Fully cured rock that is quickly placed into your tank with minimal transportation time, such as from your LFS (local fish store) to your home, may 'instantly' cycle your tank. The beneficial bacteria groups are already there in good numbers with no die-off to trigger ammonia spikes of any significance. With fully cured live rock you may never see the typical cycling progression of ammonia —> nitrite —> nitrate. Your levels may initially read — and remain at — zero, even while you are slowly stocking your tank.

To cycle your tank with live rock, an effective amount to start with is 1 pound or more of rock per 5 gallons of tank volume. If you plan on utilizing live rock as your chief method of filtration, approximately 1 pound of rock per gallon of water is ultimately recommended.

Must be pretty expensive though

Well where I am planning to buy it, purple rock is $8.99 a pound and $5.99 a pound for figi. 10% discount for 10lbs and 20% discount for 20lbs or more. You can try to buy it online for cheaper, but then you can't choose and pick which ones you want.

I highly recommend it; it helps your fish a lot because it has a ton of beneficial bacteria in it. It even acts like sort of an extra filter.

Dang well I got 65 lbs of dead rock for $118 so not too bad and i like the way they stack

Sounds like a good method though if it were the same price as dead rock I would totally of done it

Yeah you did pretty good on the price! And as long as you got a good filtration system, you will do fine.

Back
Top Bottom