Sand Sifting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is sand sifting necessary in a saltwater tank? What does it do exactly? And if it is, how can I sift the sand?

It helps to remove gas pockets that can form in the sand detritus and uneaten food. Nassarius and cerith snails are good sand sifters don't get a sand sifting star.

Its more necessary to maintain your sand bed than it is to have sand sifters. Sand sifters or borrowing animals can actually contribute to the problem.

difficult to keep if you don't have a deep sand bed because there won't be enough food for them to eat otherwise

Thank you for all your replies! Is having a sand sifting creature completely necessary or will I be okay without it?

Yeah I've been digging a little on the nassarius snails and I think I'll get some of those. How many would you recommend for a ten gallon fowlr setup?

The nassarius are cool. They are under the sand with just a little antennae thing sticking up. When you put food in they come to the surface out of nowhere and eat. Pretty cool.

My one problem is that my sand bed isn't very deep. Should I add sand first and then add the nassarius snails?

Bettafanatic said:
My one problem is that my sand bed isn't very deep. Should I add sand first and then add the nassarius snails?

No need. They do not require deep sand bed.

Excellent! I'll get them tomorrow then, since I'll be at my reef store getting a firefish anyways. Thanks for your help everyone!

difficult to keep if you don't have a deep sand bed because there won't be enough food for them to eat otherwise

So am I doomed with my starfish that I've had for about 6 months in my 75 gallon reef and also have a cucumber for a few years?

Don't feel bad I have one too. Got it before I heard and read about them. I've had mine a few months also.

I think sand sifting stars get a bad rep. Ive had mine 4 years. If you feed the tank sufficiently then you will not have much in the way of problems. No i do not use DSB's. Its all about the food, slightly overfeeding the tank is a good idea. The more food present the more microfuana and in turn food for the star. If you keep a healthy sand bed then your chances of success rise dramatically..

Got the snails today, they're lovely little creatures. After acclimating then for two hours, I dropped them in the tank. The first thing they did was head underground lol. Wonder when they'll pop back up again

I think sand sifting stars get a bad rep. Ive had mine 4 years. If you feed the tank sufficiently then you will not have much in the way of problems. No i do not use DSB's. Its all about the food, slightly overfeeding the tank is a good idea. The more food present the more microfuana and in turn food for the star. If you keep a healthy sand bed then your chances of success rise dramatically..

Thanks for the advice and I think mine will do ok

Bettafanatic said:
Got the snails today, they're lovely little creatures. After acclimating then for two hours, I dropped them in the tank. The first thing they did was head underground lol. Wonder when they'll pop back up again
The moment you add food xD It's like aliens popping out of the ground.

--Adeeb

Schism said:

I agree, I've had my sandsifting star for at least 8 months. He has grown and seems to be doing well.

Back
Top Bottom