Sanitizing sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blakskall

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so some of u may know that im setting up a new 55 gallon, im starting over and doing it right this time. I want to use my old sand and combine with new for the new tank. My sand is covered in cyano.. How can i effectively kill all algae in the old sand for a fresh start? I was thinking mayb soaking it in hot water with some magi clean

If your goal is too be 100% clean, you should start with all new sand. Even if you kill off all that algae within the sand, by reusing it you are just reintroducing all those nutrients from the decay of the dead algae into the new system.

Soaking it in either freshwater or a 10% bleach and freshwater will effectively sterilize it.

Ideally your right, but im not going to throw out 30 lbs of sand, when i can use it lol

You have a few options:
1. In bucket(s), soak in mixture of bleach and water (15-30mins.), rinse using a sifter, dechlorinate in bucket(s), rinse in sifter (repeat), and let dry. There should be no bleach smell or "sliminess" to the texture.
2. Soak in freshwater-tap water (30-60mins.), rinse in sifter (repeat), and let dry.
3. Rinse in sifter.

A sifter, for lack of a better name that I can think of at the moment, is just a box (can be made of wood) with an appropriate screen that won't allow the sand to pass through.

Back
Top Bottom