Send out the clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sooju

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm new to SW and inherited a 26G tank with three clown fish in it. I'd like to reduce that to one or two but I'm not sure who should make a trip back to the LFS. I have to say I'm finding this whole SW hobby and fish personalities to be FASCINATING. And thank you all for your ongoing support as I figure out what I'm doing!

In one corner, we have either a cinnamon or tomato clownfish. He keeps mostly to himself on one side of the tank.

In the other corner, we have two clowns. There's a false perc (is that right? he looks just like Nemo) and the other one might be a maroon clownfish. He's dark orange with three thin white vertical stripes. Nemo tends to bully his corner buddy.

Which 1-2 of these clowns should I keep? I am planning to upgrade to a larger tank (50-75G) once the used fish tank gods smile on me and will wait to determine the rest of my livestock until that is settled. Right now I just have the three clowns and a couple snails.

Looking forward to a few opinions!!

I'd pick one that you really like and keep it. Having three different species in such a small tank will just create problems for you later down the road as they grow and become more territorial. The maroon is one of the most aggressive, even if he is being bullied right now, that won't be forever. The tomato clown and the maroon both get of substancial size. The false perc will stay the smallest and be the most communal of all three should you choose to add other fish to the tank down the road. IMO

I agree with Cindu. I had two different species in a 125 and they fought like cats and dogs. There is no way that 3 different species will make it. As Cindy said only 1 will work.

I'm a fan of the false perc as well. I tent to prefer the less agressive fish in general. I have a false and he is a great fish. Friendly and inquizative.

Back
Top Bottom